How do you replace the trunk latch on your mustang for a 1977

Chece

Mar 15, 2020
Fairport OH
I can't find any way to replace this I've been mainly going it by ear and I have it disassembled I do not actually have the do loop or latch itself I'm trying to find one but I'm not sure because my car completely does not have one wish I had some pictures to show you guys but I don't have any currently

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I'm going to try and decipher and answer this the best I can without any pics. The wire "loop" or "catch" is the easiest part, there are only 2 bolts that attach it, so that should be the easiest to figure out. The latching mechanism is held in place by 2 bolts, iirc, and attaches to the boxed area where you'd expect it to. I believe there is a flat "rod" that goes from the mechanism to the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder is held to the body with a clip.

I need to get out to my car and replace the wire catch, maybe I'll get to that today. If I do I'll try to get a few pics to illustrate all of this.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I finally have some pics for you today. I needed to replace my lock cylinder as well as install the catch, so here are some of the pics from the steps I took.

There are 2 clips holding the lock cylinder in place. One is easily identified, the other is behind the box and clamps the cylinder to the rear body panel. They are both "locked" in place by screws through the tabs. Remember, you'll need to install the flat rod before clipping it all in place. It's a PITA if you don't. Ask me how I know.... lol

IMG_20200410_124327.jpg
IMG_20200410_125059.jpg
IMG_20200410_125307.jpg

You'll notice that my locking mechanism is also f'd up, so now I'll need to shop for another and do part of this all over again!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for telling me the install but what I need is a pic of what catcher lachs on to when you close the because my is completely gone

Attachments

• 15868070674736223693542865529108.jpg
    15868070674736223693542865529108.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 122
I don't have a pic of it installed, but if you look through the last couple pages of the "BS-ing" thread there's a pic of my broken catch. I'm working 12s atm, so I probably won't be taking any pics of it until at least Wednesday (my next day off) unless someone else can step in beforehand (cough cough @2Blue2 cough cough :jester: ).....

unless someone else can step in beforehand (cough cough @2Blue2 cough cough :jester: ).....

Your wish is my command
wire catch and it bolts tru loops sandwiching the spring plate

ue+vFMoPS4ehFVd3jPZgeQ.jpg

zYMXRVO0ScCIKvgk4zdMPQ.jpg
V6ez03PtQYu4l4Y2ASA49g.jpg

This one showing the excessive latching wear on one I gave brother Lilcobra
fullsizeoutput_195b.jpeg

If you're a member of the II pages on the Book of Faces you can ask around there. There are a couple of vendors who frequent the pages and someone should be able to help you. There's Phil Schmidt and someone named Martin who offer used parts and I know they've been active there. Otherwise I'd say Ebay would probably be your best bet, but you'll have to keep an eye on it as I don't know how frequently these pieces come up.