How does your spouse feel about your Mustang?

GreyDiesel

Jul 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Hey all, I am new to the forum, because I am only still in the market for a Mustang. I have been researching the new car purchase for well over 6 months, and I have decided that the best possible car purchase is a Mustang Bullitt. My wife thinks that is crazy, she does not like the Mustang. This would be my car, in that, I would drive it 99% of the time, but she would need to drive it every once in a great while (if the other car breaks down or something). We dont have kids yet, we do have snowy winters. Her concern is that its not practical enough because the back seats are nearly useless and it would be horrible in the snow. I say, who is going to be in the back seat anyhow, and it does have traction control.

How do your spouses feel about your Mustang? How did you convince them it was the right move?

(I specifically said spouse instead of wife to remain gender neutral and not alienate the hot women on the board who drive Mustangs despite their husband's misplaced disapproval.)

• Sponsors (?)

It makes her horny baby (in my best Austin Powers voice), ha, ha!

Seriously though, my wife is cool with it. She usually gives me the green light when I want mods as long as the bills are paid (including paying our savings account) and if I have a bit left over.

Regarding the practicality of the car, I say it is not very practical. The rear seat is useless and a rear facing child seat is damn near impossible if not fully impossible to put in the car without forcing the front passenger to lodge their knees into their chest.

Even with Traction Control, I don't see it being great in the snow either.

All that being said, if it is going to be your daily driver without any kids in the foreseeable future, then get the car bro! A car is a car, but this is a Mustang. Nuff said!

luckeee.. (said with best Napoleon Dynamite impression)

My wife is also concerned I will kill myself, as she has seen me drive our current cars with some amount of reckless abandon. I think, I would generaly drive the Mustang quite respectfully, because it is such a capable car. Our current vehicles are a 4 banger Diesel Golf, which gets great gas mileage, and an old 93 4Runner which we would be replacing. Both of these cars are underpowered, so you have to really throttle them just to keep up with traffic. Since you are already pushing them to their limits, its not much of a stretch to treat the public streets like a track. With a mustang GT, I would guess, (though I could be wrong), if I were to push it in the same manor, I would quickly loose my license or hit a tree. Thus, I would generally drive very well. Makes perfect sense right?

ive driven my 5.0 through the past 3 winters. saint louis winters generally arent constantly snowing, but when it does snow it snows alot. ive done 6-8 inches in my car with my old KDWSs and my new potenzas. You just have to know how to drive a car to drive a mustang through snow. Being an S197, im sure a bullitt is better off than my lowly 5.0 anyway.

As for the backseat issue, its not useless, its just useless for hauling people. Stuff fits just fine back there.

The biggest reason to get it is that you want it. Its illogical and irrational, but that doesnt make you want it any less. If we didnt care about the passion of the automobile, we'd all be driving hondas.

Theyre just a hoot to drive.

Ha, ha, makes sense to me. These cars definitely have the get up and go you are looking for. Tack on a few mods and you can really get yourself into trouble. Respect what the car is capable of and drive smart and you'll be fine.

Wife won't let me get rid of ours. She loves it. Of course, our grandkids are 14 and 11 and they ride the back seat when needed, We work it out. As far as winter driving, I guess I did not survive growing up in Iowa winters with nothing but rear wheel drive. Just learn how to handle the snow.

I don't have a spouse as of yet but the girlfriend thinks it's a pretty cool car. As far as practicality goes it's not going to be like a truck or station wagon but you can fit a decent amount of crap in the trunk and the back seat. I've also driven my parents (who are in their early 50s) for a couple of hours with them riding in the back seat and they said it was pretty comfortable once they were able to get in. This car is actually pretty decent in the snow. I live in upstate New York and have driven it through the last two winters. One with the stock all-season Pirellis and the last one with some Hankook snow tires and it handled very well with the snows. It's still a RWD muscle car but if you treat it respectfully it'll get you anywhere you need to go in the snow.

My wife was a little apprehensive due to the practicality, or lack there of, of the mustang. Especially compared to my 4-banger malibu that got 32mpg on a bad week. But all it took was one ride in the stang with the top down and she was sold. She said it reminded her of my first red convertible that I had when we were dating, and she loved that car... Of course, it helped that we got a really good deal on the car, too hard to pass up even :D.

People dont own mustangs because they're practical, they own them because they're fun. My personal opinion is this... If you pass it up now for practical reasons then you may never get one, especially after you have kids. You can kiss that dream goodbye for at least 10 more years. You can always get rid of the stang later on if it doesnt work out, or you have kids sooner than you planned.

-Steve

My wife understands my need for a Mustang. I started with a 67 200ci 3spd mustang, sold that for a 289ci 67 convertible. Restored that and bought an 89GT as a daily driver. Sold that one and now drive a 2007 GT Mustang. I debated along time as well about getting the new Stang, because of the back seat and 2 small kids. Heck my 67 and the 89 had more room in the backseat. But I thought the same if I don't get it now I never will, this will be my daily driver probably for the next 10years. But I reasoned that its only me about 90% of the time in my car going to and from work. We have a Focus for gas and practability. :)

When "She Who Must Be Obayed" and I got married (32 years ago) I had an Opel Manta that I raced in solo events and "worked on" a lot. When we started the kids/house part of life, we drove "practical/affordable" cars, even a mini-van.

At this stage, I am a partner in an architecture firm, we have one 14 year old at home, and we had a good year last year - she told me to "Go buy your sports car!" So April of 2007 I bought an '07 GT Premium Convertable in Alloy Metallic - 5 spd. - 3.73 rear end. Yesterday, I turned over 50,000 miles.

While she likes to talk about my "mid-life crises", she also wants to ride with the top down to the grocery store 3 blocks away. And last month we went to a family reunion in Colorado, she insisted that we take the Mustang - 1,800 miles. We put the top down for much of the mountain parts of the trip. 14 yr old daughter in the back seat wasn't to thrilled with the wind buffeting - but she will get over it.

Winter driving in snow - not as easy as FWD or 4WD, but turn off the TCS, start in 2nd and stay a gear higher than normal and no fast moves and you will be alright.

Thanks for the advice all. I'll have to keep working on the situation. I am much closer to closing the deal today than I was a month ago when I first floated the idea. I had thought about going for a convertible, just to make her happy. It seems that has worked well for a few folks. So far she is not sold on a vert either, but she has also never ridden in one so.... But then again, I am really into the Bullitt. It'll happen, just need to be patient. I am also hoping Ford will come out with some great new incentives for August, considering sales are so down. Are sales down enough that I could hope for 0% financing on a Bullitt?? One dealer in town has three unsold, and another dealer in town has two. I also know of a used one about 70 miles away for 27000. That will likely be the one I'll go for if August incentives are not that strong.

My better half (g/f) has come to accept that I mod my car. She knows she is important and comes first, but she also knows that I love my car and I love racing so she understands. She just asks that I don't fishtail or anything with her in the car with me :lol:

Sucks man mine gets turned on when I drift or spectates at an Auto-X event I got lucky. :D