How does your spouse feel about your Mustang?

My "spouse" has a Mustang of her own and it's modded to boot. I guess that's about enough of an explanation as I need to give ...

Winner girl right there!

Sucks man mine gets turned on when I drift or spectates at an Auto-X event I got lucky. :D
I don't have it as bad as some though. At least she understands and drove me all the way to Mobile, AL to get my s/c installed/tuned heh

• Sponsors (?)

Compromise

If she can't drive a stick, buy a convertible with an automatic and tell her it’s a compromise in her best interest. The back seat is much more practical with the roof out of the way, especially for loading a car seat. And you have an excuse to keep a beater truck around for the winter and trips to Lowes. The automatic is cheaper to insure and you will be less likely to get into trouble with a convertible on the road.

My wife loves my stang. When she hears that V8 start, she will run out of the house and jump in just like my old dog used to do when I started the old 66 F-100 (except he jumped in the truck bed). And she is always putting the top down. We really didn't intend to keep it this long, but the last time I mentioned selling it, she said "No way. Remember how you always wish you never sold the 65 GTO..."

My wife has always been supportive, and also loves Mustangs just as much as I do. In fact she also looks forward in cruising to our local car cruise events, as we both enjoy meeting fellow Mustang enthusiasts. Plus we also enjoy all the compliments we get as well.

As for practicality is concerned. Well I have a favorite quote from Dream Car Garage that addresses this issue, which reads.

Just ask yourself this question, do you really need a car like this ? ahhhh, No !

But do you really want a car like this, and the answer is always ohhhh Yeaaa, every single time. :rlaugh:

I'm just asking because I don't know, but why is an auto cheaper to insure than a manual? Manuals are a whole lot cheaper to repair than an automatic so it doesn't make sense to me.

It's all about Statistics..... I dont pretend to be an expert, but Im guessing manuals are more likely to be modified and driven aggressively, which statistically leads to more accidents. Also, performance-minded people are more likely buy the manual transmission coupes.

I only plan to mod my stang for aesthetics and the occasional stop-light stomping of a ricer civic with twice its weight in vinyl horse powah. So Im happy with a V6 auto vert, and the lower ins. premium that comes with it :D

-Steve

Who says Mustangs aren't practical? The trunk is ENORMOUS compared to a lot of other sedans out there.

Try the trunk space in an 06' vert and the mach 1000 sub in the back = f*#k all. Anyhoo, My wife is starting to like the car more and more, but she was very apprehensive as we have a 14month old (we have a lifted Grand cherokee as well). The baby isn't too bad as we all know the leg room back there, I just make sure if he's in the stang, that his legs stay crossed and the shoes don't touch the leatha lmao! The only times she gets pissed-off is when I talk to her about modding it - "you are so ungrateful and never happy" - nice car, but stock sucks. I just bought it, so I'm gunna wait for the $$$ heat to die down a bit. My .02

When I met my wife, I had the '93. After I got to know her better, I let her drive it. She was hooked and wanted to drive it all the time. So when I was looking at the Cobra she was completely supportive. (Partly due to the fact that she thought she would get to drive it.) She likes it when I get a little fishtailing going on etc. I can't complain other than she wants to drive the Cobra all the time and its a lot more car than the 4 banger pontiac she was used to. So if i can get her to understand that the Cobra is my baby and I barely let myself drive it for fear of something happening to it, and thats why I'm hesitant to let her, I'll be set. And no, there not completely practical, but the enjoyment I get from driving them makes it all worth it. Oh yeah, I have a '97 explorer for bad weather, practicality problem solved.:nice:

my fiance said its whatever you want....i sold my 95 cobra to get my 06 gt and i love it.....i personally wouldn't get a bullit, saleen, roush, shelby, etc of the higher price cars if you are having to drive it in the snow....they handle great but the other people out there driving scares me because they don't know how to properly drive in the snow...get you a gt and mod it alittle.....good luck and let us know what happened....

My story i'm sure is like a lot of us out there. Had a '79 coupe when we got married, had kids and got rid of it as it was impractical. After a '95 saturn, and 2 minivans the kids are almost grown and the oldest (wisely) chose to buy my back and forth to work beater from me as his first car. Obviously needing a new car myself my wife told me to go get my mid-life crisis car as i've earned it after serving 20yrs in the Navy. My 2009 custom ordered Premium GT shows up the end of this month :)

I'm just asking because I don't know, but why is an auto cheaper to insure than a manual? Manuals are a whole lot cheaper to repair than an automatic so it doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know the answer to that. When I was considering buying a GT I called my insurance agent and got some quotes. The difference in premiums between the auto and stick was significant.

Reading everyones experiences has been great. I wanted to let you know that your responces have become a part of our (my wife and myself) ongoing conversion about the potential Mustang purchase. I told my wife about the question I posed to the group, and she is asking for highlights in what you all have to say. I think it is helping. Hearing that other folks have wives that have no problem with their Mustangs probably makes my position seem more reasonable. Of course, its not like I posed the question to the Wives Against Muscle Cars Association. (WAMCA) She may be on their forums right now getting counter arguments.

I also wanted to respond to MI95Cobra's idea to get a GT and mod it a little. The reason I think its better to go with the Bullitt instead of a modded GT is summed up well in wusthof's remark about his wife's opinion "you are so ungrateful and never happy". Its one thing to spend the money on the car, then to put all extra future cash into the car will create a whole other argument. In an odd way, the Bullitt is a way to avoid this. I think the Bullitt has most of the mods I would want already, HID headlights, cold air intake, short shifter, interior upgrades, spoiler delete, grey 18" wheels with the polished rims, performance exhaust (though, I have test drove a Bullitt, and quite frankly I did not think the exhaust note was quite loud enough).

Anyhow, keep em comin. I am sure someone on this forum will have the key argument that will convince my wife (if it has not already happened). Maybe I just need to let her ride in it.... That seems to be a common theme. I am selling her short thinking she wont recognize pure cool from the passenger seat.

I think in my case and if I dare say, speak for many of us, customizing our cars is a way of expressing ourselves, to be different in some way or another. We all have a choice in the brand of intake, a Brenspeed or Bama tune, the type of shifter, or the ever popular exhaust note. The Bullitt in a nice car with all the crap on it, but you/we the buyer really don't have a choice in the performance mods - better yes, but still "stock" imo. For me, even tho it's difficult to scrape the $$$ together for mods, it's something to strive for in my book. It may take a year, but I will get 20s, then maybe another year and a half to get the intake /programmer!! I will have it!! I had a highly modded car b4 this 1, so my wife kinda understands, but doesn't like it either. Nothing was stock in it - engine, diff, interior, manny tranny swap, lowered blah blah. RIP
grandprixext-1.jpg

Anyhoo, gl meng............ let her drive in it, then her drive it, then hehehe, you drive her later with the feeling still in her from driving the stang!!!

I think once you drive her around in it she'll like it. Take her to to dealership and test drive the car with her.

All girls like Mustangs, no matter what they say. It might take a while to get some of them to turn or to admit it, but they do. It's encoded in their DNA.

My fiancée loved my old GT and is just as sad as me that I sold it. She liked it when I'd get on it every now and then and liked the feeling of knowing you're in a faster car with a better guy than the girl in the pimped Civic next to us with some punk behind the wheel.

She's totally supportive of buying a new S197, it's just a matter of getting some other priorities straight first... marriage.

Anything for a Mustang. :lol:

Sweet post!

All girls like Mustangs, no matter what they say. It might take a while to get some of them to turn or to admit it, but they do. It's encoded in their DNA.

:D

She liked it when I'd get on it every now and then and liked the feeling of knowing you're in a faster car with a better guy than the girl in the pimped Civic next to us with some punk behind the wheel.

:rlaugh:

She's totally supportive of buying a new S197, it's just a matter of getting some other priorities straight first... marriage.

:jaw:

We both drove Mustangs when we met. He a '70 Boss 302; me a 64 1/2 vert. When the kids came along... it was me who had to sell(thankfully to my father) mine to get the "family car". The Boss survived plus he added a '67 coupe. When the '05s came out, I was getting one no matter the potential arguement! I came home one day with the receipt from my Roush Stage 1 vert. order and he didn't bat an eye. 3 years later and the 64 1/2 is back home where she belongs and to get hubby out of Ms Blur... we've adopted an '08 Blackjack as well!

My wies loves the 07 but hates my 95 atleast until it gets compliments and she's all supportive about it. As far as modding, she doesn't mind so much except we have alot of other things happening in our lives so it isn't priority but she does give me a hard time when I want to do something. I've owned a mustang since I was 16 though and two of which is still have out of 3. She knows what she was getting into.