Engine how fast would an engine overheat with zero coolant

recently I have had overheating problems on my foxbody. the temperature gauge creeps up higher after reaching operating temperature until I turn the car off. it does not get to operating temperature any quicker than it used to, but I was wondering if coolant was not circulating in the engine block at all, would the temperature rise very quickly? I have driven it just to test it after replacing some components like the radiator cap and soon will be replacing the radiator itself, but I dont want to risk hurting the engine by even running it for a little if it has no coolant. is there a way to tell if coolant is actually getting to the block at all or not?

• Sponsors (?)

Temps would rise extremely quickly, but might not show up on the gauge as quickly as it overheats the rest of the motor. Without coolant, the ECT gauge wouldn't be submerged in water flowing from the hotspots. Timewise, you wouldn't make it much past the end of your street.

Anyways, if coolant wasn't circulating, the upper radiator hose wouldn't get hot and pressurized. Just squeeze that when it gets up to temp. You should also be able to visually confirm flow by looking in the radiator. Obviously, let it come up to temp with the rad cap off... don't open after pressurized or you could badly burn yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Temp rise would be slightly quicker than if you had coolant with the thermostat installled. Reason is the coolant is mass that can absorb heat, but with the coolant gone, that heat goes into the engine itself rather at a higher rate than if coolant was present.

How long that takes depends on ambient conditions.

I did a no-coolant start on my fox once and let it run 5 mins. Coolant gauge will never register so need to stay on top of things and shut it off sooner, than later.

Temps would rise extremely quickly, but might not show up on the gauge as quickly as it overheats the rest of the motor. Without coolant, the ECT gauge wouldn't be submerged in water flowing from the hotspots. Timewise, you wouldn't make it much past the end of your street.

Anyways, if coolant wasn't circulating, the upper radiator hose wouldn't get hot and pressurized. Just squeeze that when it gets up to temp. You should also be able to visually confirm flow by looking in the radiator. Obviously, let it come up to temp with the rad cap off... don't open after pressurized or you could badly burn yourself.
The upper hose right? I mean I squeezed both hoses after driving a little and they were both warm. Is that. A good sign? I've driven the car a few times like 30 minutes after replacing the radiator cap, if there was no coolant circulating at all I would've found out the hard way by now right?