How Hard On Trans Is Valve Body, Tc, And Rearend

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Im looking to change rearend gears, and vlave body, and throw in the higher stall converter I have sitting around, i believe its a 2600-3000 stall somwhere around there. How hard would these items be on my trans, its a little worn but not slipping. I have a tranny cooler that I need to hook up as well. By adding these items do you think it would trash the transmission in a quick fashion?

• Sponsors (?)

Everyone i know (including my brother) terminated their auto in quick fashion after a valve body.

A shift kit should be pretty safe, but stock aod's just don't like a manual valve body.

The parts you describe help performance that's for sure, but it also means you will be beating on the car quite a bit more.

Me personally, i don't think it's worth the labor, i'd swap in a t5.

AOD is easy to brake you need to replace the clut,h packs with alto red clutches and your good to go might as well get a upgraded servo or just buy a trans from lentech or performance automatic that's what I'm running with there valve body and a 2800 stall

what's a PA auto running like $2500 or so? Yeah t-5 swap, every forum cruisers answer to the aod it seems. Don't get me wrong I'm not an aod lover or anything like that, just the t-5 swap wouldn't be any cheaper than buying an aod and it would be more of a headache to get all of the parts rounded up and installed.

what's a PA auto running like $2500 or so? Yeah t-5 swap, every forum cruisers answer to the aod it seems. Don't get me wrong I'm not an aod lover or anything like that, just the t-5 swap wouldn't be any cheaper than buying an aod and it would be more of a headache to get all of the parts rounded up and installed.

A t5 swap comes in drastically lower than a PA setup. Figure a good t5 to be $500-$700 used, a bad one is worth about $150 then sink another $500 to have it rebuilt, the rest of the parts are easy and fairly cheap to do. Only thing that will soak up some time is putting the pedals in.

It's really not about the money, we have had auto's in the family and manuals.
A manual is 10 times as much fun.
There is nothing like the feeling of choosing the gear you drive in for yourself.

It doesn't hurt either that your car will instantly be about a full second faster in the quarter mile.

The first time you let the clutch rip and your car lays 200ft of rubber and you come around a turn sideways, all the headaches of the swap, will be worth it.

My PA AOD works great after its been serviced by PA at 1000 miles cause of a few minor problems
wouldn't wanna have to pull it and send it back after 1000 mi. I hear ya about manual being more fun, I've had both auto and 5spd vehicles as well and for me it pretty much is about the money. I'd have to have someone do the install for me b/c I don't have the means so labor is a factor. Where are you finding used t-5's wrecking yards and are they mustang t-5's or just any? Oh and crossmember are you getting that used as well?

Transmission parts for a foxbody are a dime a dozen, junkyards, craigslist, car-parts.com, and even ebay has 50 t5's on it at a time.

Since you are paying labor on this, no way i'd invest labor money in the valve body, converter and cooler.
If you had the parts and did the labor yourself, i could see it, not paying someone hundreds of bucks though to mod your trans in a way that it probably isn't going to last long.

Anything could be found used, as long as the crossmember is not bent, doesn't matter if it's new or used, but i think new it's only like $75.

A king cobra clutch and ford racing flywheel should be bought new, they are the reasonably priced.

Oddly, both of my running 5.0 Foxes are C4's. The 2.3 is an auto. My dd is Bullitt with a 5 spd. Not sure how this happened. I would love to have a built aod, since it would have the track performance and OD to get there!

I wish chevy T5 stuff was a easy to find and install as Mustang stuff. It like gold!

Had a worked AOD mild stall it was ok for the yrs i had it...lost 3rd and OD a month ago went with an Art car c4 rated at 1000 hp Reverse manual VB..tranbrake 3000 stall drove it to work today love it compared to my AOD...car is way faster then when it had the AOD.. A stick to me is a waste of time...in my application...