How is this for straight up bad luck

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
Try to make a long story short...

1. I sold the Trickflow R intake and got a Edelbrock Victor 5.8. Had a friend come by last sunday to help me throw it on and got almost done and realized that I ordered the wrong set of gaskets that go between the upper/lower intake. Short trip to summitracing.com and I got the correct gasket set.

2. I got the gasket yesterday and was putting it on this morning and the throttle cable linkage kept binding up against the fuel rail no matter how I mounted the throttle cable bracket. Turns out that even though I did not need a spacer w/ the TFSR I do with the Victor 5.8. Back to summitracing.com to order the throttle body spacer.

3. During the time of trying to figure out the TB cable issue I was inside the car and pressed down on the throttle to see if it was going to bind or not w/ the last way I mounted it (before I discovered I needed a spacer) and when I pressed down the TB cable popped off the gas pedal when it binded against the fuel rail. When I was attempting to put it back on the pedal the small plastic piece that the cable goes through then snaps on top of the pedal fell out of my hand and was either lost somewhere up inside the dash or fell through one of the openings that leads into the whole under dash console area.

I cant find that small plastic attachment anywhere, Ford did not have it and neither did NAPA. I have a feeling it comes as part of the throttle cable. Either way I don't want to spend $150 for a new OEM cable just to get that small plastic piece. I'm at a loss of what I can do. I called MPS salvage and they never got back to me. I checked a local junk yard that had two 3.8's from 94-96 but it was not the same set up. Its frustrating b/c the car has been down a lot already this year and I have until the 14th of aug to get this fixed and the new clutch installed and 500 miles put on it so I can do a local event at the track that I do every year but its not looking good now. Sorry this was kinda long but thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions of where I can find that plastic piece that snaps on top of the gas pedal let me know. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

I switched to a fox, I have a sn95 cable for $15 shipped if you cant come up with anything, can get pics. if needed.

I also have the fox TB set up so Im going to need one for a 93. I just remembered that. I found my old Throttle cable for the 94/95 and its different then the 93. The 87-93 must be the one that has the plastic piece at the top.

yeah thats like the same one that I have that came off it before the fox TB swap. The 93 must have been a different set up that has the plastic piece that slides over the top of the pedal w/ the cable going through it.

its a small plastic round piece that has a slit in it where the cable can slide into it but not pull through it b/c of the round cylinder at the end of the cable and then it snaps onto the top of the pedal.

I cant get the link to work, search this on flee bay.

In the pick you can see the small round plastic piece Im talking about at the end of the cable on the pedal end just before the round cylinder at the very end of the cable.

87-93 FORD MUSTANG GT LX 5.0 OEM EFI THROTTLE CABLE

I had to use a custom throttle bracket from mc machine when i put the victor 5.0 on my car.

Did you check port alignment before you bolted it on completely? The victor lower almost always needs to be milled.

The fuel regulator is in the way no matter how you try and mount it, even w/ just using one bolt from the TB cable bracket. I have a cable bracket from MC Machine. It just needs the spacer to be pushed out further so it can be properly bolted on

here is some serious straight up bad luck for you ...

you decide to convert to a 4R70W transmission
the guy who does it is 2 hours away
he takes a really long time doing it
when you finally get it back, it doesn't shift right
you don't trust him to get it right so you don't take it back
you can't find anyone local to look at it
then after a year, you find someone willing to look at it
he charges you $3000 to "fix" it, but all he does it rebuild it and it still doesn't work
so you sell the 4R70W at a huge loss and get an AOD instead off ebay for $700

dude, you got nothing. :D

HA!

Dont make me list everything from the past few years that has "not gone right" I dont expect car modding to be a perfect straight forward no hang ups type thing but damn somethings that should just be easy never turn out that way. Like I said its to be expected when you cross the line from OEM stock to aftermarket. Either way it sucks all the way around. This recent thing does not have me in the money hole as much as your tranny issue but the frustration factor is pretty high.

What I didnt want to do is buy a whole new cable just to get that one piece that I need but I think it might be my only option. NAPA does not even carry Fox Throttle cables so Im going to call a local guy (well hr and a half away) That deals strictly in Mustangs and pretty much just fox's. Has lots of parts to buy from him and cars you can pull stuff off from. Im going to give him a call today at work and see if I can just get that plastic clip. If not maybe I can get a cable from him for cheap, if nothing works on that end then there is always the stealership if I have to.

That little plastic piece should be the same on 4 banger cars right? I have been taking parts off a 91 at a local pick-a-part for my current project. I could grab the clip for you and throw in the mail. I will probably head out there this weekend sometime, so let me know.

The throttle cable was a pain on mine as well. I used two of the UPR EGR delete plates to space out the tb so it wouldn't hit the fuel rails. Then I had to modify the throttle cable bracket to make it fit. The intake comes with it's own throttle cable bracket, but you need to remove the hard lines for the heater hoses to make it work.

have you posted this on the fox forum to see if they have any ideas seeing as how its a fox cable?

No I didnt b/c I'm really short on time, I'm looking at tues/ weds at the latest to get this thing running again so I have time to have it brought into the shop and the clutch and rear main installed and then have time to put 500 city driving miles on it before the racing event on aug 14th/15th. I just dont have the time to wait around for a post reply for someone that has one, could I luck out?? Maybe but I need that part as of yesterday.

The throttle cable was a pain on mine as well. I used two of the UPR EGR delete plates to space out the tb so it wouldn't hit the fuel rails. Then I had to modify the throttle cable bracket to make it fit. The intake comes with it's own throttle cable bracket, but you need to remove the hard lines for the heater hoses to make it work.

I have a EGR delete plate on it now and Im hoping the spacer will push it out enough to clear the fuel regulator. Its almost there but I need like another half inch for it not to be a problem and the spacer I got is a half inch so I'll wait and see how that goes when I get in on tues.

That little plastic piece should be the same on 4 banger cars right? I have been taking parts off a 91 at a local pick-a-part for my current project. I could grab the clip for you and throw in the mail. I will probably head out there this weekend sometime, so let me know.

If you can that would be awesome. I just bought the cable through Latemodelresto but I can always return it if I have to I just did it as a sure measure way of knowing I would have one. If you grab one off a car PM me and send me a picture of it so I know its the correct one and if so I'll send you my address as well. Thanks!

If you can that would be awesome. I just bought the cable through Latemodelresto but I can always return it if I have to I just did it as a sure measure way of knowing I would have one. If you grab one off a car PM me and send me a picture of it so I know its the correct one and if so I'll send you my address as well. Thanks!

I'll let you know what I find.

When i put my 383 into my 95 i used the throttle cable from my totaled lincoln mark 7. Worked PERFECT. I'm using a trickflow box intake/spacer and have a little slack. I'm not sure if throttle cables between diff model 5.0 cars had different lengths. I would suggest hitting the junk yard and looking for 302 vehicles with the intake pointed to the passenger side. You could at least compare the length of your broken cable to what you need. 5.0 trucks like explorers may also have a longer cable.:shrug:

I'll probably try that too but I bought the fox cable just as a fail safe measure that I'll have something that I know will work. As long as the fitting for my old cable does not rotate so that the cable can slide of out that slit then I'll probably be fine b/c I know that slit that is in the fox plastic clip is very very small, its hard to even press it apart w/ a screw driver. I'll probably try it tomorrow to see if it will work and if not the fox cable should be here tues/weds and the spacer will be here on tues so Im hoping by weds the latest It will be running again as long as the spacer solves the issue of the throttle linkage/cable hitting the fuel rail.