How many classic owners have a newer stang?

Cobain03

Aug 27, 2003
Lexington, Ky
how do you keep from spending money on the newer one? with the advancements of classic parts, its now easier to keep them drivable and looking better then ever.
i just saw Classic Car Restoration on DIY and they are doing a 65 fastback project and they are redoing the suspension and going to disc brakes.. sweet!

• Sponsors (?)

I just tell myself that the '95 is my driver and my '66 is the ongoing project. For me the '66 is just the smarter investment. The classics are more valuable, and the '66 was my first car, so I'm keeping it anyways.
A lot of my friends like my '95 and talk about how cool it is, but they're not car people. To me the paint is bad, the interior is cracked to hell, and it's mostly stock, so it's underpowered. People think I'm joking when I call it my beater.
The '95 has potential, but it's not getting another mod until the '66 is finished(are they ever?) or I start making enough to put money into both.

Here in the next year or so I'll be in the market for another car and plan on buying an 03 Cobra as my "College car"

I'll basically park the 66 in my parents garage while im gone, and be spending money on the 03 while im in college, then when i get the money to do the 66 up right when I'm out of college, I'll do so. No point in making any major replacements now If I'm just going to drive it for a year, park it, then upgrade it several years later.

And if I'm lucky my dad will start thinking it's his and putting money into it, only for me to jerk it away once I start my own life! :p

my first car was a 66 mustang that i drove in highschool. i left for the army and it stayed home cause i wrecked it. i bought a few stangs and finally my 03 cobra. after spending alot of money on the cobra i finally stopped (cause there isnt much else i can buy lol). now its all about the 66 and this will be my project while i finish school.

I guess my '91 5.0 is newer...:rlaugh:
It's my DD though. tons of fun while I get my '66 done (slowly...:rolleyes: )
Although, I've been working on the Fox more than the Coupe lately. helps prevent burnout and keeps my interest high.:D

I have a little stable going on over here. lol 2-65 Fatback's, 67 coupe, 65 coupe and my 2001 GT Convertible.
I've got the same thing going here. I have my daily driver 2002 V6 Mustang and my ultra low mileage 2001 Mustang GT in the same stable. The GT is my garage queen with 2,6xx original miles on it.:jaw:

I've got the same thing going here. I have my daily driver 2002 V6 Mustang and my ultra low mileage 2001 Mustang GT in the same stable. The GT is my garage queen with 2,6xx original miles on it.:jaw:

Kinda the same at my parent's house(when my sister and I are home from school):
My cars: 1995 GT 'vert
1966 hardtop
My little sister: '01 V6 w/ only 13k miles(too bad it's not a GT or Cobra)

Then at my house in Orlando:
I have my '95
Roommate #1: '96 248A
Roommate #2: '99 GT

3 Mustangs everywhere I sleep.:nice:

I had an 03 GT for almost 2 years, nice car but its gutless mod motor prompted me to sell it, and I don't miss it a bit. I'd take a clean fox body any day though. I bought my 66 11 years ago with money I had saved from bagging groceries, drove it all through high school and college, its part of the family now, I'd never sell it. I've spent way too much on the 66, but its worth it.

I sold my 89 GT so that I could have my 68 coupe. My wife was a good sport. She let me buy the coupe w/ money from savings, w/ the agreement that the $ from the GT would go back into savings. I think that she would have agreed to keeping both, but it would have been too hard to resist the temptation to spend on both cars. I have another DD, so I would have had two "play" cars.

I agree w/ 302 coupe about the Fox bodies. I love those cars, and could definitely see another one in my future. Given an opportunity to keep my 68 and get a clean Fox when it's more feasible and affordable in the future, I'll take it. In the meantime, I'm happy to be blessed w/ what I have.

I have a 65 K-code coupe that I have had since 1996 and an 87 LX 5.0 notch that I bought new in 1986. I have put about 8k into the 65 and 5k into the 87 which has been pretty painless when done over such a long time period. To me, the key to keeping the expenditure down is to buy a good car from the start. My 65K was a life long California/Texas car, still had the correct original drivetrain in it and is as close to zero rust as you will find, which allowed me to put my money into those items that only needed to be freshened up - suspension, brakes, interior etc. On the 87 I kept my goals reasonable - a clean car that could run in the 13's. Added gears, exhaust wheels/tires and a few bolt on's and have a fun driver that turns heads and met my performance goal. Both cars are definitley keepers!

I wish i had the money for 2. I got lucky and bought the 67 as my first car, but found out its not much of a daily driver so i had to buy a used ranger, and i have been driving that every since, the stang just sits in the garage and looks pretty till the summer comes.