How many here are using crane 1.7 rockers with the stock valve covers?

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
How many here are using 1.7 crane roller rockers with the stock valve covers? I have the stock valve covers and I already removed the oil baffle and I am using 2 valve cover gaskets and the rockers still hit slightly..Just curious if anyone here is has any clearance issues with the stock valve covers using crane 1.7?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm doing this.

On the drivers side all I'm using is a Mr. Gasket Cork Gasket.

On the Passenger side i beat the baffle in a little. I ended up using the stock ford gasket in combination with a Mr. Gasket Cork Gasket.

Don't have a problem with them hitting at all. I would try buying a set of $18 cork gaskets since their a bit thicker than the stock steel/rubber ones.

What gaskets are you using?

I am using Crane 1.7 rollers on all mine with stock valve covers - just used the metal/rubber gasket on one car with stock cam without even bothering the oil baffle and the other I had to take the baffle out using e303 cam and make my own baffle out of some thin sheet metal - works great

now...the question is are they stud or pedistal. i have ford's crane stamped 1.7 rr's off the 93 cobra. all i had to do was remove the baffle. im using the rubber coated metal gaskets from frpp. no spacers

rocker arm ratio doesnt really affect clearence that i know of the problems you run into are the different brands, some brands like scorpion are big fat beefy rocker arms, my friend had to grind his valve covers to get them to fit and they were 1.6s, for my FRPP 1.7s i just removed the baffle, i may have not needed to do it but i didnt just in case, i didnt want to tear it all back down if it did hit.

I'm doing this.

On the drivers side all I'm using is a Mr. Gasket Cork Gasket.

On the Passenger side i beat the baffle in a little. I ended up using the stock ford gasket in combination with a Mr. Gasket Cork Gasket.

Don't have a problem with them hitting at all. I would try buying a set of $18 cork gaskets since their a bit thicker than the stock steel/rubber ones.

What gaskets are you using?

I am using ROL rubber gaskets and mine is pedestal mount rockers

Is there any problem with removing the baffle?

I have the black FRPP cobra machined aluminum valve covers (fit 86-93 5.0) , edlebrock performers with 1.6 harland sharp roller rockers (stud mount). Will I be able to use these covers - will I need cork gaskets?

is it REALLY ok to take the baffle out?

Is there any problem with removing the baffle?

I have the black FRPP cobra machined aluminum valve covers (fit 86-93 5.0) , edlebrock performers with 1.6 harland sharp roller rockers (stud mount). Will I be able to use these covers - will I need cork gaskets?

Is it really ok to take the baffle out ?????:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

A reputable machine shop told me that oil consumption will be high and things could get very very fu&*Ed up....

An even more reputable source told me oil puddles on top of the baffle plate anyways and since the oil filler is so high it won't hurt a thing...

Please advise, I have two Coast motors which I would like to use stock v/c on but don't want to screw them up...

Also, the Ford Racing v/cs don't have baffles...so doesn't this imply that it is ok to run without them?

I'm running the comp cams pro magnum 1.6 rockers and they are pretty beefy. I'm also running the cork gaskets that are a little thicker than the rubber ones. I didnt remove the baffle i just trimmed it up a little bit. Everything fits fine...no interference issues.

With no oil baffle, there is a good chance you'll start sucking in a bunch of oil. There are several people on this site who are currently dealing with this problem. I have a hole in both valve covers and my driver's side is sucking oil like it's going out of style. I am trying to figure a way to fabricate a baffle that doesn't interfere with the Scorpion rockers.

I highly recommend putting some sort of baffle back in either way though.