How much can a A4LD take before it breaks?

Late next week I will be opening up my A4LD out of my '93. Not too long ago (18,000) I had rebuilt it. I had performed a few upgrades that were suggested by the Automatic Transmission Rebuild Industry. An upgrade that I added was swapping the 3rd and 4th gear shift servo's. Stock it was a pretty pronounced shift from 3rd to 4th with is normally ok, but I wanted a smoother shift back and forth between 3rd and 4th, like a Lincoln or Cadillac (oops I said a bad word) shift. Now you may ask yourself "Why the Duck would he want to do this?, I want to feel it shift Man" Well, the terrain that I live in is far from flat. In just a couple of minutes, in places, you can change feet above sea level up to 500 feet. I am not a transmission man by trade, my repertoire (Repertoire was borrowed from French répertoire) of transmission rebuilding consists of old C-4's and A4LD's. Oh yeah, 4 Speed Toploader's but it's been a while, But any Automatic Transmission man will tell you that the cadillac shift wears on the soft parts quicker as opposed to a solid shift.
Well before it gave out on me,it started slipping. One day, On the way to work, it quit pulling. I was stuck on the main path, fortunately not much traffic. At some point, I wound up the engine and at the same time that it engaged I heard a very loud pop ! I didn't let up and got in to the parking lot at work. After that it would not do anything except for reverse. I'm assuming that I broke a Band. I am just now getting around to working on it and now it is it's turn.
IF anyone is interested I will document my going back through this transmission again. Now anyone that has done this knows that it takes extra time to stop and take pics and the other things involved with documentation. I will be glad to do this if the information will help someone. I have learned a lot of stuff from this Forum and I want to pay back a little. Respond if you are interested.

• Sponsors (?)

The A4LD has a bad rap due to people not understanding its purpose. It is a good transmission but not built for racing, though it can be built to take some abuse. It came in the Aerostar van that hauled 9 people...but not at 7,000 rpm. They were used in Ranger pickups, so Ford thought they could haul some loads...just not very heavy ones.

We bought our 89 four cyl coupe with an A4LD running ok but with no overdrive. I found a $100 take out and swapped it right in. That worked fine for a year of my daughter driving to high school and such, 10 more years of now and again use. It finally started not wanting to shift into second, so I swapped in a T5. I think it could be rebuilt at home, but there was an issue with the front pump bushing for the input shaft that I did not want to address. Kinda wish I had tried the rebuilt.

My stock Fords with A4LD's worked fine for street use in an Aerostar van and the wife's Tempo. Hot Rods they were not, but she drives hard. Ford put them in Ranger pickups so they should be okay in normal use. Mine will be behind a modified 2.3 in a sports car. The engine will be about 150 HP in a 2400 pound car with 3.89 gears. Maybe 300 HP would be max HP to handle, but everything depends on how it is rebuilt.