How Much HP Does it Take to Trap 113?

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
I ask because I know someone with a full bolt on, cammed, 01 GT, geared, supposedly 300 rwhp (MustangDyno) on the dot (I can believe that part as I know others have done that). Said the car weighed 3300 with him, also believable, as he had the rear and passenger seats taken out.

The day I saw him run, the DA was a little over 2000 feet. He trapped just shy of 113. Isn't that a little on the high side for 300 rwhp and 3400 pounds? Heck, that's probably close to 115 with a decent DA. That's bolt-on Termi range, which although is heavier, is still well over 400 rwhp. I'm thinking there might be a little bottle hiding around somewhere....I haven't seen under the hood or in the trunk.

What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

That's high for an N/A, stock head car.Think he's hiding the bottle somewhere too, or else he has more done to it than you know.

If that's legitimate, I would be tempted to copy him mod for mod.

Dang, I almost forgot something really important. It is a Bullitt. I know it makes a little more power, but I'm not sure about the weight.

Even still, would the intake manifold make that much more power? I still can't see it making more than 315 maybe with his mods (cams are stage II Hitechs).

And then, what would that car weigh with those weight reductions? As far as I know, it was just the seats, and the wheels were Bullitt wheels, but were supposedly lighter than the originals. We're still talking less than 150 total pounds.

How much would a low 300s rwhp Mustang with 4.10s have to weigh to trap that much? Sub 3000? I can't imagine that much weight was gone from it. I'm leaning towards more power; whether that extra power came from the mods listed and he wasn't telling the whole story about how much it made, or if he has a bottle hidden somewhere, I can't say.

Irregardless, it's still a badass car, but it just had me wondering when I was thinking about how much I was trapping vs. how much he was.

My car went 113 at about 500' DA, 286RWHP and 3150lb race weight. At 2000' DA the car would barely break 112MPH traps. If he had ported heads I'd believe it. A Mustangdyno generally reads lower than a dynojet, which is what my car was tested on.

Dang, I almost forgot something really important. It is a Bullitt. I know it makes a little more power, but I'm not sure about the weight.

Even still, would the intake manifold make that much more power? I still can't see it making more than 315 maybe with his mods (cams are stage II Hitechs).

And then, what would that car weigh with those weight reductions? As far as I know, it was just the seats, and the wheels were Bullitt wheels, but were supposedly lighter than the originals. We're still talking less than 150 total pounds.

How much would a low 300s rwhp Mustang with 4.10s have to weigh to trap that much? Sub 3000? I can't imagine that much weight was gone from it. I'm leaning towards more power; whether that extra power came from the mods listed and he wasn't telling the whole story about how much it made, or if he has a bottle hidden somewhere, I can't say.

Irregardless, it's still a badass car, but it just had me wondering when I was thinking about how much I was trapping vs. how much he was.

I have a video of him racing my brother, he only ran 107 n/a and that was on a really nice day. It was the same day I ran my 13.3 below(n/a 270rwhp) he's sprayin
YouTube - ‪running down!‬‎
his best time I think that day was 12.7 or 12.9 cant remember, he stated all the same mods listed above.

btw my brother at the time was making 385rwhp/410rwtq and trapped 119mph

I have a video of him racing my brother, he only ran 107 n/a and that was on a really nice day. It was the same day I ran my 13.3 below(n/a 270rwhp) he's sprayin
YouTube - ‪running down!‬‎
his best time I think that day was 12.7 or 12.9 cant remember, he stated all the same mods listed above.

btw my brother at the time was making 385rwhp/410rwtq and trapped 119mph

Aahhh, that's what I was thinking. I didn't want to call him out on it, but something definitely didn't make sense with him trapping 8-9 mph more than I was on the same day, with supposedly very similar power numbers. Also, I found in some PMs on the local club site that he said his race weight was 3420.

How much hp/tq is it making on the spray? (if I may ask)

He's probably spraying a 75 shot and the Bullitt intake, cams, and longtubes are helping him pick up some MPH. My car should trap 110-111mph in good weather, wouldn't be hard to pick up an extra MPH or two from the two above mods on a 75 shot.

I'd estimate he's putting down 385 rwhp and about 430 lb ft if that's the case...

I say that because my car should trap 110-111mph in better weather, and I'm running a 100 shot on a PI intake, no cams, stock manifolds. My car trapped a best of 100.xx mph on motor, I ran 109.6 mph on a 100 shot in terrible weather.

On a 100 shot he should gain well more than 2-3mph over my car with the Bullitt intake, cams, and exhaust.

My 96 Cobra with 414RWHP (vortech, L/T's) trapped at 114-116 consistently. Sometimes it would dip down to 111 or 113 depending on the launch and temp outside.

Don't know what my old HCI 95 GT with a Procharger made (never had it dyno'd) With 3.08's and street tires it ran [email protected] MPH with a 2.2 60ft. LOL.....I imagine that car was around 400RWHP as well.

My 88 LX traps 111mph with 306 rwhp, which I thought was fast for a 300rwhp car. (weighs about 3100 with me). Keep in mind that a poor launch can give you a higher than expected trap speed. If he was running 2.0 or worse 60' times, it isn't difficult to imagine an unusually high trap speed.