How Much HP Should I Really Have On 98 GT?

• Sponsors (?)

bierbelly said:
OK, I had my '98 dynoed when it was completely stock except for a K&N. It dynoed at 196 RWHP. I doubt the K&N added anything. Neither will a cat back, no matter what the advertisement said.

W3RD! There are not many bolt ons that will really give you anywhere near what's advertized. The 4.6L needs bigger, more expensive mods to really make it fly.

I have a 98 Rio Red stang. The best mod for this motor if you want any power is the supercharger. I use the SVO at 6lbs and I put down 311 hp before the tune. The tune net me about 20 more. I like the SVO for the fact that it gets the plastic pos intake off of my car. Plastic belongs on my dash, not my motor.

Best of luck.

stimmler said:
Do the tuner before the the plenum and tb. If you are going for the headswap don't get the tuner, not sure it will work after the swap. Custom chip would probably be better post swap.

Thanks for the advice. I have been wondering which order to follow. I am still unsure about the headswap as my mechanic tells me most people are disappointed at "true gains" after having PI headswap done. :bang:

stimmler said:
superchips programmer won't fix speedo's on 98's either. Found out the hard way.

Hey stimmler! Did your superchips programmer make a noticeable difference with the mods you have? I am considering following your mod list (somewhat)! :D How do you like your plenum and tb setup?

98GTBlkConv said:
Thanks for the advice. I have been wondering which order to follow. I am still unsure about the headswap as my mechanic tells me most people are disappointed at "true gains" after having PI headswap done. :bang:

He just doesn't want to do the work...probably he's not qualified to do it. I've NEVER heard anybody that's had the headswap done complain about it.

bierbelly said:
He just doesn't want to do the work...probably he's not qualified to do it. I've NEVER heard anybody that's had the headswap done complain about it.

I think he'd be happy to do the job as he would be making $$$. However, he is pushing me more towards the supercharger route. Of course, he is quoting me somewhere around $5k installed. This, of course, is more money than the headswap. Modifying these cars does get expensive if you are not doing the work yourself! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

98GTBlkConv said:
I think he'd be happy to do the job as he would be making $$$. However, he is pushing me more towards the supercharger route. Of course, he is quoting me somewhere around $5k installed. This, of course, is more money than the headswap. Modifying these cars does get expensive if you are not doing the work yourself! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

IMHO, do the headswap and stay N/A. You will pay in spades if something goes awry with your A/F ratio when you force induction. Plus, you'll then need to upgrade rear end, clutch, possibly the tranny, etc., etc. It just goes on and on. By the time you've replaced everything you need to handle the huge increase in power, you could have bought a Vette or Viper and have much more potential.

i got 201 rwhp on my 96 5spd with flowmasters K&N and frpp pullies with a tune from laroccas. I dont think thats too bad. 170 - 180? What are you smoking? maybe a stock 96 - 97 auto without even a k&n and a ton of miles would do that.

Saleen201 said:
I had 190 on the dot with full exhaust (LTs, O/R H, Borla Cat-back), K&N air filter, and Saleen factory tune. so i think 170-180 is pretty accurate.
-Mike

Unless you have like 400k miles on that car or you're like 10,000 ft. above sea level something is wrong with your car buddy. Check my sig. that's with a bolt on turd.

Saleen201 said:
Mine was a mustang dyno, i forgot to mention that. :doh:

-Mike

OOHHH now that makes more sense. :lol: Mine was on a dynojet. To be honest I was really happy w/ my #'s. Our club had a dyno day on an extremely hot day (96* 90% humidity) but I really didn't care because all I wanted was a baseline for my headswap. I was hoping for 210-215 hp and 260 tq, and I was very happy after my #'s came up on the computer. But if I had gone my manu. #'s for my bolt-ons I would have like 240 at the wheels! :lol:

looks like we did it on the same day, it was about 95* and like 92% humidity the day i did it. Not to mention that my AC only blows defrost and floor (not vent) so i cant use my AC. So i am driving all over DE/PA/MD/NJ sweating my ass of. but anyway, nice numbers :nice: i too will be doing a headswap soon, along with a buch of other goodies.

-Mike

*EDIT* as a matter of fact i have the graph, the temp and humidity are hand written at the top, it was hotter then i thought.

dyno_run.jpg

98GTBlkConv said:
Hey stimmler! Did your superchips programmer make a noticeable difference with the mods you have? I am considering following your mod list (somewhat)! :D How do you like your plenum and tb setup?

It was the most noticable single mod that I have done. Adding the plenum and TB opened it up even more, especially the top end. Pulls better than a stock PI now. Still figureing out what to do next, KB blower or P&P PI heads and cams or mach 1 engine. Would rather supercharge but $$$$$ is the problem. Never heard anybody complain about the PI headswap not getting noticable power. Using the NPI block with PI heads increases the compression so you get more hp than a stock pi motor. Just the PI intake alone gives you 15hp.

My Headswap was done in July and it was hot too, does that make a big difference? Also I was thinking about this, When they worked on my heads they disconected the battery, then hooked it back up when they were done and dynoed it. I though I remember hearing that when you do a higher flow X or H pipe It takes a few trips for your computer to adjust, is that true? If so then my computer never got a chance to re-learn the car? Or does this have no effect and is compleatly untrue?