How much HP will the stock GT crank hold ??

2002BLGT

Dec 18, 2003
Bedford VA
I can get pistons for about 300 through my workplace and manley H beam forged steel rods are 572 through summit , or would getting a 03 cobra or other forged crank the only way to go ?? and if so where can i get a deal on a 03 cobra crank ?

• Sponsors (?)

You can find forged cranks on ebay fairly cheap seems like it would be worth it to do it all at once. But you are right the weak parts are the crappy rods and the hyper-crap pistons. There are plenty of guys making mega horsepower on other engines with cast cranks.

2002BLGT said:
you think the stock one would hold up to about 500 rwhp ?
I'm sure it would. RPM is what's gonna kill the cast crank in an application like that so keep the it in check and you should be fine. For just another $500-$600 (usually the cost if having a shortblock built) I'd go ahead with the cobra crank though.

*EDIT* Btw, this is purely a guess based on the fact that I haven't heard of anyone breaking a cast crank (may have happened, I just haven't heard of it). There's no magical number that anyone can give you in terms of how much any certain part can withstand.