How much juice does the power steering use??

VIPERn94Five-0

Founding Member
Apr 28, 2002
Poughkeepsie, NY
2 days ago i went over to my girlfriend's house and i always back into her driveway and park down at the end of it...so i drive up her road and past the driveway, stop throw it into reverse and start to back up it gets rolling back and im turning the wheel(quite a bit). so anyways, i push the clutch all the way inand im rolling backwards and turning the wheel. Well all of a sudden the steering gets REAL hard, and i noticed the car stalled.....any ideas???

....ive had the RPMS drop pretty low before when cranking the wheel to get in/out of a real tight spot at idle before, but dont remember the car ever actually stalling....

Anthony

• Sponsors (?)

VIPERn94Five-0 said:
....ive had the RPMS drop pretty low before when cranking the wheel to get in/out of a real tight spot at idle before, but dont remember the car ever actually stalling....

Anthony

hmm, i've only stalled it a 'couple' of times while backing up :rolleyes:

it doesn't seem like the power steering is the culprit, just not enough gas

Mine does the same thing. It's quite annoying. I have learned to pay attention when I am cranking the wheel & idle speed so I don't stall the motor. Might be a bad PS draining too much power from the accessory belt.
Scott

Anthony, my car does the same exact thing sometimes, most of the time though it fells like its gona shut off but then when i stop turning it fires back up to normal... idk what it could be

Yea, but how many early late 80's early 90's Firebirds and Camaros do you see driving around? I don't see any around here. Even the LT1s are few and far between. Ford may build some crappy stuff, but overall I think their cars are pretty good.

CManT1914 said:
Yea, but how many early late 80's early 90's Firebirds and Camaros do you see driving around? I don't see any around here. Even the LT1s are few and far between. Ford may build some crappy stuff, but overall I think their cars are pretty good.
yeah but at least the GM guys knew that they were building performance oriented cars...Ford forgot that sometime during the 90's....just think of the joke stuff they did with our cars.

the conversation must have gone like this

Tech 1:Ok, so were gonna use the 5.0 for the 94-95 model year.
Tech 2: One problem, with this hear strut tower brace installed, we cant use the Intake manifold from the Fox cars!
Tech 1:You call that a problem? please, lets take that there restrictive as a beotch upper intake off that Tbird over there and bolt it on...it will fit.
Tech 2: thats a great idea!!

Tech 1: so this T5 tranny should be a good choice, and i think the F-350 superduty shifter looks pretty classy inside that interior so we should go with that.
Tech 2: But the T5 isnt all that strong, it will probably break if they powershift, or modify the car too much.
Tech 1: again, no problem. We will just pay that nerd over there $400/hr to reprogram the eec to pull timing in between shifts to help stop them from blowing up the tranny.....

Anthony

VIPERn94Five-0 said:
Tech 1: again, no problem. We will just pay that nerd over there $400/hr to reprogram the eec to pull timing in between shifts to help stop them from blowing up the tranny.....
Yeah, but they weren't that smart. I can still pull the spout out...;)

Joe

Another vote for "mine does it too". Doesn't usually stall, but sometimes the RPM's dip pretty low for a sec. The PS pump takes a lot of power when you crank it to the limit or when you turn the wheels while you're not moving.

Dave