How much oil does a 2.3 take?

84Gt350

Founding Member
Sep 18, 2000
Kirkland, WA
I just changed the oil in my kids 1992 2.3 and it took 6 quarts to bring it up to the full mark, does this seem right? I would expect it to take 5 with a filter change.
The engine is all original and stock.

Thanks,

Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Does anyone have a 92 owners manual they could look in for me? I would be interested in what they say the capacity is. I find no oil in the filter when I remove it so it shouldn't change the amount weather you change it or not (I always do).

Dan

I know when I changed my oil in the 92 and in my 93 I have now that there was oil in the filter. I drained the oil from the plan, and then took the filter off. Then turned the filter upside down and oil came out, Therefore there is oil in the filter :D

I guess I could pull out my 93 manual, but I know what it shows. Its says 5 quarts with filter change, then it ** that you should go by what the dipstick shows. I always put in 5.5 quarts and my dipstick level is right on the money in the hatch area.

So there is your answer, 5 quarts with filter change and use dipstick as the guide.

I will restate my above post

Its says 5 quarts with filter change, then it says that you should go by what the dipstick shows. I always put in 5.5 quarts and my dipstick level is right on the money in the hatch area.

So there is your answer, 5 quarts with filter change and use dipstick as the guide.

This is the best I can do unless you want me to scan the manual and then repost.