how much power was i loosing ?

89lxcoupe

Founding Member
Oct 6, 2001
harlan,ky
well my car had been running like crap and eating oil so i tore it down to find i had a broke ring in #8, timing chain was stretch badly, bearings had trash in them crank destroyed and to beat it all i pull my exhaust and found out that the previous owner used a pressed bent x pipe that measured 1.94" in the bends and the stock flow tubes welded to some 2.25 flow masters ! and it ran 13.04 @ 104-105 last time out but most people are running 12.50's-11.98 @ 110-113 with my setup ! so i hope with a fresh rebuild and my new exhaust 2.5 mandrel x-pipe, mac 1.5 flow tubes and 1 chamber flowmasters that it will pick up some !

• Sponsors (?)

I'm curious about this myself because my car had all the same problems that yours had except the exhaust and mine had two broke rings. I'm in the process of getting ready to install a reringed 88 forged piston shortblock in my 95 cobra tomorow.

Believe it or not the timing shain stretch may have been making power depending on whether the cam was degreed in properly or not. The stretch may have been allowing the cam to come into proper timing with the crank for maximum power. It's just a thought.

its funny you should say that because i did think of that, but on desktop dyno2000 i put in my cam specs then put in + or _ 4 deg and it lost power and torque so when ford made that cam they must have done it that way for a reason ?

its funny you should say that because i did think of that, but on desktop dyno2000 i put in my cam specs then put in + or _ 4 deg and it lost power and torque so when ford made that cam they must have done it that way for a reason ?

The presumption is that the cam timing was correct to begin with. If everything is milled perfectly then I could see it being a problem. Let the timing gears be off and or anything else and a sloppy chain could bring the timing back to correct.