How much would this work cost if done by someone else ....

my69rumbles

Jul 13, 2009
69 with 351w. How much money roughly am
i saving by doing these things myself as opposed to having an amateur gearhead or a shop do it
For example,if you were to do these on a car for someone,what would you charge?

Compression test.
Remove & rebuild Holley 4bbl carb.
Change both upper ball joints (labor)
Change outer tie rod ends (labor
Install new front rotors (labor)
Check distributor/rotor/internal parts etc are all good.
Install MSD ignition/distributor/coil + neccessary parts that go with it

• Sponsors (?)

69 with 351w. How much money roughly am
i saving by doing these things myself as opposed to having an amateur gearhead or a shop do it
For example,if you were to do these on a car for someone,what would you charge?

Compression test.
Remove & rebuild Holley 4bbl carb.
Change both upper ball joints (labor)
Change outer tie rod ends (labor
Install new front rotors (labor)
Check distributor/rotor/internal parts etc are all good.
Install MSD ignition/distributor/coil + neccessary parts that go with it

THat's a pretty close estimate. I figured up 16 hrs as a worst case came to $800-$900
But it depends on where you are located/what the average local labor rate is.

A lot of that you can do yourself. THats what this forum is about for the most part. You can get a compression tester at Sears for $20-$30? Something you should have in your toolbox and that costs less than the hour of labor you would be charged for that item.

THe carb you could do but you may want to farm that out if you have never done one or watched someone.

Same with the ball joints-do you know that they are loose? Or jut want to replace them-thats worth describing on this forum and see what people think or take it to an alignment shop-most shops will check out the whole front suspension for an hour labor or less.

Tie rods you can do-count how many turns out, new ones in the same amount of turns-take car in for alignment...but getting them off the spindle, that can be tough but again, there is help here for that part.

Rotors you can do with a basic tool kit and some help here on the forum (repack wheels bearings while you have it apart)

The MSD you may want to farm out too. But there is enough help here to get that done too.

If you live in the Chicago area give me a message. I'll do it for a 6 pack of beer. I can even show you how to do it yourself. I just enjoy working on these things so money isn't important.

Ever done sheetmetal work :D I am in Bloomingdale and will need some help on some new frame rail/apron's I ordered and have to install.

It's guys like golf that remind me what this hobby is about!

I agree, its what the hobby is all about. I try to do just about everything I can myself. I enjoy figuring things out and learning from them. This is on my Stang and on my F150. There are things that I can't do so I take it somewhere to get the work done.