How to adjust the idle?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
Well what i mean the stock accelerator cable has a built in return spring and the idle wonders a little and bascially doesnt return to were i have it set like the return spring is not letting it go back..is there anyway to adjust this cable?

• Sponsors (?)

My guess is that you might have an issue with your IAC (idle air control) motor, or maybe even a vacuum leak. Unless you have been able to physically confirm that your throttle linkage is sticking, it's probably not the problem.

Im sorry its a carb car and yes i think it sticks because i can go outside and move the thorrtle back to the right idle...so im guessing its not free moving..i juts was curious if i can give it some slack...and the adjust or make up the adjustment with the carb srcew?

Sounds like maybe your return spring is maybe a bit weak. Do you have a newer dual-spring type return? That or the shaft running through your carb that operates the butterflies is pretty gummed up.

The carb is 3 days old and the return spring is built into the thorrtle cable....thats why i was wondering if i can adjsut it? not the spring...lol the cable itself to get slack then make the difference up with the adjustment on the carb the idle screw..i mean....

The carb is 3 days old and the return spring is built into the thorrtle cable....thats why i was wondering if i can adjsut it? not the spring...lol the cable itself to get slack then make the difference up with the adjustment on the carb the idle screw..i mean....

Guess I should have read your original post better. There has to be an adjustment on the cable I'd think? If you can't get the cable to close the throttle all of the way, you'll never have a consistent idle.