how to block off the ports from smog pump on the heads

• Sponsors (?)

You can do it on your own just as easily. It can just be closed with a proper sized bolt I believe. I'm sure someone will be able to give you more details, the PO of my car did it for me

On second thought, I'll sell you a kit, $50 :D comes with everything you need

Kit contains:
1-bolt
1-thread tape or locktite (customers choice)
1- instruction booklet

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
i have heard of people cutting the small ports off the tubing and flipping them around and re-bolting them up (not sure how good of a seal this would make though) or you could use an old spark plug with the ceramic busted off

It's 5/8 course threads. The only problem is the holes usually have so much carbon build up you can't get them in there. I took my pipe off and cut the part off that bolted to the head. Then I welded the hole shut on the piece I cut off and bolted them back on.

thanks for the info. i got some 5/8 by 1" bolts and after about 10 min of PB blaster and working the bolt in and out with an impact they are both all the way down to the head with teflon tape on them.

that was an easy fix:D

Erg Port Block off

As a note for future reference, not all heads are threaded for the 5/8" bolt or set screw. Mine (that were not threaded) were E7 heads off a 1993 Thunderbird 5.0. On these I used a plate to go over main hole and a 1/4" bolt to hold the plate on. THE threaded 1/4" hole is already existing.
A kit of(2) plates and(2) bolts can be bought for $15-19.00.

As a note for future reference, not all heads are threaded for the 5/8" bolt or set screw. Mine (that were not threaded) were E7 heads off a 1993 Thunderbird 5.0. On these I used a plate to go over main hole and a 1/4" bolt to hold the plate on. THE threaded 1/4" hole is already existing.
A kit of(2) plates and(2) bolts can be bought for $15-19.00.

There are threads in the big hole. It's just so full of carbon you can't see them.

thanks for the info. i got some 5/8 by 1" bolts and after about 10 min of PB blaster and working the bolt in and out with an impact they are both all the way down to the head with teflon tape on them.

For my Edlebrock alum heads: I used 5/8 x 1" bolt. Got aluminum drain plug washers, and used anti-seize on threads.
Cleaned the hole out with carb cleaner plus working bolt in and out. What a pain with the heads on the car!

i have heard of people cutting the small ports off the tubing and flipping them around and re-bolting them up (not sure how good of a seal this would make though) or you could use an old spark plug with the ceramic busted off
I've done this twice with success each time with the engine still in the car. LMR.com also sells a Pypes plug kit for the ports as well but you need to have the heads off or engine out of the car IMO to install them.

This is how I did it.
thermactor.jpg

Left side gets installed on right side and flipped over and then repeat for opposite side. Piece of cake.

Look on amazon for 5.0 302 thermactor plugs. That's what I used in my TFS heads...same ones they use behind accessory brackets on the front of the head.

I found these at LMR.
SVE SMOG PORT BLOCK OFF PLATE KIT 5.0/5.8

Attachments

• 86-95 smog.jpg
    86-95 smog.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,258
  • 86-95-mustanng-smog-port-block_6baae9c1.jpg
    86-95-mustanng-smog-port-block_6baae9c1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,153
The thermactor plug kits from the front of the heads fit the rear. The threaded slugs go in with a screwdriver and are flush or lower than the head surface.
On the back, bolts and a washer are easier to get out when you change your mind. When I wanted the extra plugs out, I tried making a tool from hardened steel after using penetrating oil, and just bent the tool.