How to change front brake pads on an '02 GT?

I've already changed the rear pads but now I can't get the front calipers to come off. I'm trying to get the lower bolt to come out so I can pivot the caliper up but all it does is spin in place. I've tried both calipers and they both do the same thing. Is there some trick to get them to come out or is there another way I should be removing the caliper to get to the pads?

• Sponsors (?)

I was doing a brake job on a Civic in class one day and it looked like the caliper bolts had shims on the back, rectangle-shaped with 2 curved sides. We had to use some pliers and hold onto the flat side of the shim while loosening the bolt because it was attached. Dunno if the stangs are like this but it's worth a check.

When you break the caliper bolts loose they spin free in a slide pin. You must hold the slide pin's collar with an adjustable wrench on the flat spots. This is right adjacent to the small rubber boot. It is kinda hard to describe...

Also, brake jobs should be taken seriously. By this I mean do not skip any steps like turning the rotors or lubing the caliper slide pins. Make sure the pads are installed with all clips in place. Use pads that are compatible with your rotors and your driving type. Also, brake fluid is only good for 30k miles absolute max. Best to bleed while you are in there. Installing some speed bleeders makes bleeding much easier.