Engine How to check cooling system if it contains air in it

Gabriel72RLP

Dec 17, 2018
Germany
Hello,

I own a MY 1997 Modell of 1998 V6. How can i check the cooling system if air pokets are in it? I am just asking, because i have a bad feeling. You know this feeling if its something wrong, even no bad signs are shown. The radiator, thermostat and the cooling fluids were replaced a couple of weeks ago. The parts were changed from an expierienced Mechanic. He owns a couple US Cars like a old Cadillac Lincoln Town Car MY 1980 and a Ford Pick-Up Modell F-150 Year i don´t know. I have this bad feeling, that he might didn´t do the exact coolant filling proccedere for a Mustang 1998 V6. Evertything seems to be ok. The Temperature ist exactly in the middle of the gauge. It don´t overheat. Motor runs smooth. Idle is good. But my ass in the seat is feeling, that there is something wrong with the cooling system. How can i check the cooling system?
Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's some information that may help.

V6 coolant refilling procedure:

The short answer to your question is to open the coolant bleed screw when the motor is STONE cold. IF there's coolant right at the bleed screw then the system is full.

Want to check some more? Do you have an ODB2 scanner? Do you have infrared scanning thermometer? Use the infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of the T-stat housing. Compare this reading to the ECT sensor as reported by the PCM.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Do what he said and crack that bleeder screw and make sure theirs coolant right there. what he was supposed to do is use a coolant fill kit and hook it to an air line to create a vacuum in the system in order to fill it and have no air. another way to check is to turn your heat on full blast and make sure its actually hot, if you have air in the system it will lack heat. one way ive found that can get rid of little air pockets is to rev the engine up to about 2000 rpms and hold it their for about 30 seconds, do that a few times and it will help get some of that air out.