How to create an extension piece for B&M hammer shifter Auto users

kalvick

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Norwalk, CT
If you installed a B&M Hammer Shifter on your 99-04 automatic transmission, you will notice that your car can not start from park unless you jam on your shifter several times or start from neutral. this is because the shifter cable is literally millimeters too short to work with the hammer shifter.

in my case, I could start the car in park 50% of the time in park, but no matter how much i fidgeted with it, sometime I would have to start the car in Neutral. Another problem is that when I was in D, and I floored it, the gear would sometimes slip into 2. Thats means when i was driving and I floored it, the car would stay at 3000rpms, until i wiggled the shifter just slightly to get it back into D and then the RPM's would drop to normal ~2000rpm.

you have two options make a new custom piece or dremmel out the transmission cable loop. I asked about doing this before in a previous thread, but I was hesitant about modifying existing parts of the car in case I ever needed to go back.

here are my instructions for making a custom plate to make your Hammer shifter work 100%

trans-how.jpg

As long as the hole is slotted its not going to move anywhere, especially when the bolt is on REALLY tight.
I would also recommend getting a bolt that self locks for the transmission loop. that way nothing can ever slide around when your banging gears.

• Sponsors (?)