How to cut a square hole for a beautiful Lentech lighted rocker switch?

bcmbcmbcm

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jan 29, 2003
How do I cut a freakin SQUARE hole in a plastic lower dash cover for this nice lighted rocker switch from Lentech? I know a round toggle switch would be ez but I do like this one.

• Sponsors (?)

It is time consuming...

Drill an undersize hole where you want the square hole, then use a small file to square up the corners.

This is somewhat common for adapting carriage bolts on the external door handles, in place of the factory rivets.

jason

You need one of these ...

WEB%20IMAGES-NIBBLER.jpg

K04 76011B Klein Tools Sheet Metal Nibbler - Price: $20.95
Made in the USA for all Sheet Metal Construction Projects
Cuts up to 18 gauge soft sheet metal, plastic, aluminum, and tubing from 1” I.D.

It is a metal nibbler and you can cut any shape hole you want. The only drawback is that you need a really strong grip to work with thick metal or metal that is hardened.

See http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4351...lein-Tools-Sheet-Metal-Nibbler-WAS-28.32.aspx

What if I take the panel and the switch to a car stereo shop?

How fast and good can they do something like this? I would imagine that this is somewhat routine for them !!??

Thanks,

Brett

Use a square drill bit.

:rlaugh:
Ok. I do as above and choose a bit that has a diameter the same as the side dimension of the square, and then dremel it out afterwards. These other ideas sound nice compared to that.

good luck.

Dremel tool for the win. I can't believe I ever lived without mine... really comes in handy for doing stereo installs, cutting off bolts and sanding/grinding small areas.

I could have...but

1991vert said:
u couldn't drill a round hole and use a flat file to make it square? would have saved you $30. that plastic files off like nothing...

Yes/Maybe I could have...but I didn't want to risk f*&ki$g up a perfect panel that is the correct color on my 55K mile car. If I messed up this panel I would have to find another one and dye it...then where would I be? I have worked alot on 1/10 electric and 1/8 gas R/C cars and have done alot of small things similar to this, but the first time out I do something, it never comes out 100%

I pick my battles. With $2300 going into my tranny $30 to insure a professionally cleanly mounted switch (will post pics soon) seemed like a good idea. On picking the battles, I will be wiring the switch myself. Not only do I enjoy wiring, but I feel that I will take more care than anyone, soldering connections, putting fuses where I want and can access them easily, etc. Also, I want to get the work done on the tranny ASAP so I can drive my car (tranny blown :( ) Having a non-functioning car, a job, and two kids changes the money/time dynamic considerably (most people, granted not people on this board, might just drop the car off at a shop, not source any parts themselves, and pay $1500 plus for a STOCK REBUILD).

Now I can finish the wiring soon, and get the car and parts to the trans shop this week!

I am, however, debating the value of the $49 lentech wiring kit that I bought (and included this switch.) Not to knock Lentech or anything, but I think I could have pieced this together for a third of the cost if I cut the wires myseld (s$it I will probably be cutting and shortening these wires anyways!!!)

1991vert said:
who's going to see it underneath your knee? hmmm? if you cant file in a straight line, maybe you should be back in 1st grade practicing coloring inside the lines?

your money to waste, not mine.

My first reaction is that your juvenile remarks directed to fellow enthusiast, and a long time enthusiast (since 1987) at that do not dignify a response.

But this board is to help us all.
Without this board, I never would have heard about Lentech and the O/D delete. Without this board, I never would have been able to fix my surging idle problem on my own, I never would have confidently installed Maximum Motorsports components. If I had access to this board in 1990 I would have not done the 1-D-1 shuffle and still might have the original tranny (wtf..... I read about the shuffle in a 5.0 magazine yearrrsss ago???) Back in the day there was no internet (and obviously no Stangnet) and we had to figure things out by trial and error, magazines, friends, and phone calls to tech people.

Without this board, I would still be driving a 5.0, but it would not be nearly as sweet! So, I feel that I owe it to the board to point out the flaws in your remarks.

First of all, cars are a hobby and/or transportation. Transportation in itself is a necessity of life. Hobbies are not a necessity, cost money, and are purely consumption. Therefore, by your remarks, your 331 stoker in the works is a huge waste of money, especially compared to my $30! How much are you going to spend on gas for your 331 stroker, more than $30? Hmmmmm

Next, we should never be too proud to pay someone else to do work or talk about doing so. After all, unless we bought are 5.0’s piece by piece starting with a $200 junkyard notch (as some do, and I have great respect for that) we all paid people to build our cars in good old Dearborn. Did you build your house? (Shoot, your comments lead me to believe you still live with your parents.) Your comments lead me to believe that you have never owned a truly pristine, original car. Your attitude leads me to believe that you may never will.

It is important to remember that we all have our own tradeoffs of money/skill/time. Was it not enough for you that I spent an hour laboring over exactly where to put the feckin switch, removed the panel, made sure the location wouldn't short the terminals, and waited until my kids were asleep to take it to the stereo shop? Do you have a problem with the fact that I will gladly pay $15 labor to have my oil changed, or does the fact that I supply the oil change place Amsoil make it okay (or must I use your own preferred brand for acceptance? If you want, I would gladly pay you $15 to change my oil.) How about glass installation, transmission rebuilding, and painting, (all of which one could do themselves), do you do all of that yourself too?

When I began wrenching 17 years ago I had no money but all the time in the world. I even painted a car myself. (It came out horribly by the way.) Now the situation has turned. Last night I spent $40 on a feckin babysitter so I could see Jarhead with my wife. Children, career, wife, and family limit the time one can spend on these things. I am proud to admit that I still wrench several times a week, and I still have my Stang. MANY PEOPLE SELL THEIR 'TOYS' AND CEASE THEIR HOBBIES because they can't juggle hobbies and family. Wise up or you will be one of them.

If I pay someone to do something from time to time and I can afford it, I will do so. Check back with me when you no longer live with your parents, have children and a good job, family life, and stable marriage; by then I bet someone else on this board will have your pinkslip in their sock drawer and you will be driving rice.

Your 331 stoker will surely kick my A$$, but don't forget that I have been driving 5.0s before you and will do so after you. If that doesn’t earn respect, I don't want it.

bcmbcmbcm said:
My first reaction is that your juvenile remarks directed to fellow enthusiast, and a long time enthusiast (since 1987) at that do not dignify a response.

But this board is to help us all.
Without this board, I never would have heard about Lentech and the O/D delete. Without this board, I never would have been able to fix my surging idle problem on my own, I never would have confidently installed Maximum Motorsports components. If I had access to this board in 1990 I would have not done the 1-D-1 shuffle and still might have the original tranny (wtf..... I read about the shuffle in a 5.0 magazine yearrrsss ago???) Back in the day there was no internet (and obviously no Stangnet) and we had to figure things out by trial and error, magazines, friends, and phone calls to tech people.

Without this board, I would still be driving a 5.0, but it would not be nearly as sweet! So, I feel that I owe it to the board to point out the flaws in your remarks.

First of all, cars are a hobby and/or transportation. Transportation in itself is a necessity of life. Hobbies are not a necessity, cost money, and are purely consumption. Therefore, by your remarks, your 331 stoker in the works is a huge waste of money, especially compared to my $30! How much are you going to spend on gas for your 331 stroker, more than $30? Hmmmmm

Next, we should never be too proud to pay someone else to do work or talk about doing so. After all, unless we bought are 5.0’s piece by piece starting with a $200 junkyard notch (as some do, and I have great respect for that) we all paid people to build our cars in good old Dearborn. Did you build your house? (Shoot, your comments lead me to believe you still live with your parents.) Your comments lead me to believe that you have never owned a truly pristine, original car. Your attitude leads me to believe that you may never will.

It is important to remember that we all have our own tradeoffs of money/skill/time. Was it not enough for you that I spent an hour laboring over exactly where to put the feckin switch, removed the panel, made sure the location wouldn't short the terminals, and waited until my kids were asleep to take it to the stereo shop? Do you have a problem with the fact that I will gladly pay $15 labor to have my oil changed, or does the fact that I supply the oil change place Amsoil make it okay (or must I use your own preferred brand for acceptance? If you want, I would gladly pay you $15 to change my oil.) How about glass installation, transmission rebuilding, and painting, (all of which one could do themselves), do you do all of that yourself too?

When I began wrenching 17 years ago I had no money but all the time in the world. I even painted a car myself. (It came out horribly by the way.) Now the situation has turned. Last night I spent $40 on a feckin babysitter so I could see Jarhead with my wife. Children, career, wife, and family limit the time one can spend on these things. I am proud to admit that I still wrench several times a week, and I still have my Stang. MANY PEOPLE SELL THEIR 'TOYS' AND CEASE THEIR HOBBIES because they can't juggle hobbies and family. Wise up or you will be one of them.

If I pay someone to do something from time to time and I can afford it, I will do so. Check back with me when you no longer live with your parents, have children and a good job, family life, and stable marriage; by then I bet someone else on this board will have your pinkslip in their sock drawer and you will be driving rice.

Your 331 stoker will surely kick my A$$, but don't forget that I have been driving 5.0s before you and will do so after you. If that doesn’t earn respect, I don't want it.

:Word: :owned: :Word: :nice:

anyway... it's his car. (period)