how to paint chrome?

billbraskey

Feb 2, 2006
sorry.. non mustang question.. whats the best way to prepare chrome to be painted? i ahve an 85 silverado ive been restoring chrome bumpers are going black.. just rough it up with some sand paper and shoot ? doesnt have to be perfect just going flat black..

• Sponsors (?)

A wire wheel on a Grinder would work too and probly cheaper then sandblasting, unless you know someone who has there own sandblaster.

But if you want it as close to perfect as possible go with sandblasting.

Being an 85, I would be afraid to sandblast it cause some of that older chrome or cheaper chrome likes to flake off when you sandblast it. Some places it flakes right off, which would be fine for you to paint it, but not all of it flakes off and then it's a pita to get it all off cause in places it's really on there good and won't come off with a sand blaster, and if you don't get it all off you will see the lines in the paint.

I would just give it an aggressive sanding.

Might also help to use some of that Bulldog Adhesion Promoter after you sand but before you spray your primer. I've been using it for my past couple of touch-up and ghetto-cheap repaint projects and it's made a HUGE difference in how well the stuff holds on and helps even cheap rattle-can paint resist flaking. A can costs about $5.50 at Autozone.