how to reach spark plug on far back passenger side

drift_stang

Apr 26, 2009
i cant seem to reach it no matter what angle or even from under it. has anyone managed to replace that one? its a 1999 V6 and i got the rest just not that one. if you guys could help me i would really appreciate it thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I pulled my plugs over a dozen times. I guess, maybe if you only have a few basic tools then it may be a problem. I do recall the first time I went to pull mine 9 years ago. I had to borrow a neighbors socket extension. I found the best way to get those PITA plugs out is to use a ratchet with a flex head and a long extension. You'll have to change adaptors a couple of times of course. The universal swivel adaptors can be very useful, and they can also make your job more difficult if you don't know how to use them properly. Use them the wrong way and all it does is twist in all the wrong directions. The right way, well lets see... You got the far passenger side plug, on top of the socket put a universal swivel adaptor, then put a 10" extension and then a flex head ratchet. Do it this way and you can pull the plug while your ratchet resides up top past the valve cover and plenty of clearance.

And a couple of tips to save you time and hassle later on.

Take some brake cleaner or even carb cleaner and spray down near in the crevice where the plug sits. Do this and let dry before removing your old ones. That way dirt and other garbage don't fall into the cylinder when the plug is removed. If you cant get anything in there to clean it offf and it doesn't seem all that dirty, then dont worry about it.

Whether your just pulling plugs to inspect or clean them or putting new plugs in, always put a little anti-seize compound on the plug threads. This prevents them from getting stuck later on. When you tighten them, hand tighten at first if possible, or if using ratchet, thread in till it starts to become tight. Then tighten plug another 1/8 of a turn. If the entire 1/8th turn still feels a bit loose, make it a 1/4th turn instead...but no more then that. The anti-seize grease will help. It's also a good idea to chase the threads before you install the plugs. get an old plug, clean the threads off with a wire brush, insert into plug hole and thread in. Find all hard spots in the turns and thread plug back and forth to work the tough spots out. Doing this plus the anti-seize compound will ensure your plugs never get stuck again.