How to remove 5th gear synchronizer hub

180 Out

Jul 23, 2005
Hello Stangnet:

This is my first post to this board. I am putting a T5 out of a '95 GT into a '65 fastback. But first I am installing a Counter Gear Stabilizer kit from Medatronics (www.5speeds.com). This requires removal of the fifth gear from the back of the case.

I have removed everything down to the synchronizer hub, but it just doesn't want to come off. That is, I've got the synchronizer sleeve off, and those three little things that look like little toy cars are out, and the brass ring from the middle too. But the synchronizer hub seems to be hung up on something. It slides back and forth on its splines, but won't slide off.

What is the trick?

Part two, I did not mark my synchronizer sleeve and hub prior to separating them. Now I read in the T5 service manual and in the Chris Neighbors T5 rebuild page that I should have done this. Well, I didn't, so now what?

TIA, and please have pity on an ignorant newbie.

• Sponsors (?)

I just got off the phone with the 5speeds.com guy and he says on the later T-5's you've got to pry the 5th gear off or use a puller to get the synchronizer hub off. I would not have tried this without an expert's advice telling me to do it, but now I've got a plan.

Also, he said not to worry about the synchronizer hub and the ring not matching up as assembled from the factory. Next time I will definitely mark them before disassembly, but it doesn't seem to be a biggie.

jup..... works like a charm with a puller..... i tried the link you posted and couldn't find that site..... iw ould like to try one of those...

jason

ps...... post pics of what it looks like etc...