How to remove drip rails?

66P51GT

Nov 7, 2003
Cerritos, CA
I am seing this modification done more and more on some of the custom cars that are being done. With the recent articles on the Terlingua Mustang it has me thinking that I would like to remove the drip rails from my 66 Coupe.

I have no idea what is involved. Removing is probably straight forward as long as you are careful but I'm not sure what to use to make up the 1/4 gap between the window and the roofline?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Example Images
trt_001_rear_profile-L.jpg

trt_001_desktop-L.jpg

There are several layers of metal there. Basically, you use a zipper wheel and remove and 1 to 1 1/2" at a time. If you cut the whole thing off, the gap will spring open and you'll never get it back right (buddy did this on a 60's Camaro). Saw this car in person this past Saturday at the Tulsa Shelby Meet. Ran 13.40s if I remember right.

Ive gotta cut mine off or modify them majorly before I can be done cause of major rust from vinyl roof probably end up cutting off after sandblasting easier to fiberglass everything up then

66P51GT said:
I have no idea what a Zipper Wheel is. I did a search and the only reference I could find was a carnival ride LOL.

Well, you can take them off with a carnival ride, but it's sorta messy.

It's an air powered cutoff wheel. I think you can put them in an air powered die grinder too. I have an electric die grinder and bought a cutoff wheel attachment for a drill at Harbor Freight. Needs to turn about 10,000-20,000 RPM and makes pretty sparks. :D

when i did mine i just used a cut off wheel like they explained. when i did mine i had my subframe connectors so my roof didn't split open when i did cut it. then just hammered the bottom lip up to inside the upper roof metal and hit the upper roof metal down to fold over it.ran a weld beed and called it a day

12sec67 said:
when i did mine i just used a cut off wheel like they explained. when i did mine i had my subframe connectors so my roof didn't split open when i did cut it. then just hammered the bottom lip up to inside the upper roof metal and hit the upper roof metal down to fold over it.ran a weld beed and called it a day

Got any pics?

jmo. but why would u cut that off its there to help keep water out of your door panels.and if your car is like mine even with mass adjusting and new seals throughout it still aint airtight. whistles dixie ,down the highway lol.