How to remove intake plaque on stock intake??

• Sponsors (?)

I can't comment on all years, but...

my '87 has been under my hands since day one, and it is torx for sure on mine, 100% positive that no one has ever touched it. Although, was valet parked in NYC for a number of years...

bcmbcmbcm said:
my '87 has been under my hands since day one, and it is torx for sure on mine, 100% positive that no one has ever touched it. Although, was valet parked in NYC for a number of years...

Who knows where the hell my car has been, so I am leaning towards mine aren't stock. Seeing as how they tend to seize as mentioned by HISSIN50, I guess they stripped and were replaced. I would recommend a dab of anti-seize on the bolts when putting the plate back on.

allen doesn't sound so bad after all

if you don't care about being 'correct', f&cK it and replace them with allen screws... torx are a PITA and I use them once every 5 years, replacing my intake plaque was one of them... on a different note (read=rant) I am proud to admit I bought an extra new new new plaque 2 years ago from a Ford dealer speculating they would be obsolete very soon...VERY hard to duplicate the wrinke finish inside a machined finish as is the stock part..

bcmbcmbcm said:
if you don't care about being 'correct', f&cK it and replace them with allen screws... torx are a PITA and I use them once every 5 years, replacing my intake plaque was one of them... on a different note (read=rant) I am proud to admit I bought an extra new new new plaque 2 years ago from a Ford dealer speculating they would be obsolete very soon...VERY hard to duplicate the wrinke finish inside a machined finish as is the stock part..
whats wrong with Torx's??
I like them (bunch of interior screws, underhood, gauge cluster, and a bunch of other crap on these cars require them)

mustangjoe87 said:
i was gonna paint mine too a while back and yeah 3of4 came out great and the 3rd stripped. so when ever i get a new intake im just gonna break the plate.
Why not just use a Craftsman screw out bit? Should make short work out the small bolts, and you wont have to F'up the plate or upper intake.

I guess nothing is 'wrong' with them, just another fastener..

since I use torx so infrequently, I don't have any fine torx tools as I do hex. Come to think of it I have NEVER stripped a torx, (in part because they are so seldom used!!??), but all MY torx tools SUCK because I can't justify the cost of good torx tools. (The main torx tools I have are from the factory tool kit from a Saab I had when I strayed from the 5.0 and I 'kept' before selling it..)

Torquex are fine, but not that small.

seems every time I try to remove that thing, I break the bit off in the screw. Damnit. This JUST happened to me last week, and I had to break off a perfectly mint plaque. use only the strongest bits, craftsman as suggested. DO NOT USE AUTOZONE bits!!

Jeremy - new avatar? It threw me for a loop for a minute.

I have not had issues with Torx fasteners either - I have rounded off allen head stuff (a lot of Euro cars from back in the day had allen head fasteners instead of hex head bolts).

Choosing the correct sized bit is important.

Good luck.

hah, yea, that always throws people for a loop, that 4 inch cowl is LONG gone, it was too ricey on a vert that did not need clearance like that, I got a lot of **** from my friends and family for that hood.

took this photo off the gt40p heads on the explorer motor i'm in the middle of dropping in.