how to replace rear wheel bearings

sandiegostang

May 19, 2011
I have a 2000 GT and I keep hearing a wierd sound coming from the rear of the car when i am cruising. The best way i can describe the sound is that it sounds like a helicopter hovering. i believe it is the wheel bearings but i havent heard of them going out on the rear of a mustang before. How do i replace the bearings or could it possibly be something else?

• Sponsors (?)

Bearing replacement goes something like this:

• jack up the car and put it on stands
  • remove the wheels
  • remove the brake calipers (don't disconnect hydraulics) and caliper brackets
  • remove the differential cover and drain the fluid
  • remove the spider pin retaining bolt and remove the pin
  • push the axles in enough to disengage the 'C' clip and remove the clip from the axles
  • pull the axles from the housing
  • use a slide hammer and yank the old bearings and seals from the housing
  • inspect the housing and bearing surfaces on the axles and replace anything unservicable
  • use a suitable bearing installer drive the new bearing into the housing
  • carefully install a new axle seal and lube the lip with a bit of diff oil
  • slide the axles back in place, re-install the C-clips and the spider pin and retaining bolt
  • re-assemble everything else...

Fill the diff with 75W140 synthetic hypoid oil and if necessary a bottle of friction modifier.

Bearing replacement goes something like this:

• jack up the car and put it on stands
  • remove the wheels
  • remove the brake calipers (don't disconnect hydraulics) and caliper brackets
  • remove the differential cover and drain the fluid
  • remove the spider pin retaining bolt and remove the pin
  • push the axles in enough to disengage the 'C' clip and remove the clip from the axles
  • pull the axles from the housing
  • use a slide hammer and yank the old bearings and seals from the housing
  • inspect the housing and bearing surfaces on the axles and replace anything unservicable
  • use a suitable bearing installer drive the new bearing into the housing
  • carefully install a new axle seal and lube the lip with a bit of diff oil
  • slide the axles back in place, re-install the C-clips and the spider pin and retaining bolt
  • re-assemble everything else...
Fill the diff with 75W140 synthetic hypoid oil and if necessary a bottle of friction modifier.

This sounds like it should be done at the same time i am getting my gears installed. The mechanic said i would probably need new bearings too. Would these bearings include the wheel bearings?

This sounds like it should be done at the same time i am getting my gears installed. The mechanic said i would probably need new bearings too. Would these bearings include the wheel bearings?

He may have meant pinion and carrier bearings specifically but I would make sure to supply him with (or have him procure) new axle bearings too.

Consider getting FRPPs M-4210-C installation kit along with those gears as is comes with everything needed including outer axle bearings and seals.