How to secure STB to Firewall for '98 ?

Shamus

Sep 20, 2004
Has anyone added a strus tower brace to their '98 Cobra? Wasn' sure how you'd secure to the firewall without pre-drilled, pre-tapped holes? Do you just use metal screws? Doesn't sound strong enough....appreciate anyones' feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

You didn't say what design STB you had. Each design mounts differently. For example, some STBs attach to the firewall through the cowl area with bolts, washers and nuts - you pre-drill the holes; some attach through the firewall pinch weld with bolts (I think the stock 96-97 STB was of this design). At the strut end, some attach using the strut mount holes and bolts, while others need separate holes drilled and separate bolts. Given the forces at work, don't think sheet metal screws will cut it.

Thanks for the reply. I believe I'm getting the Steeda, however my real question is, how do you get nuts on the back of the firewall? Do you sneak a hand up in the footwell? I would think thats a bear to get to...thanks.

Shamus said:
Thanks for the reply. I believe I'm getting the Steeda, however my real question is, how do you get nuts on the back of the firewall? Do you sneak a hand up in the footwell? I would think thats a bear to get to...thanks.

You just pull the plastic cowling off that's underneath the wipers and you have really good access to the area you need. One tool note, if you have access to a right angle drill, it will make drilling the holes much easier. You can do it with a regular drill, but a right angle one would make it cake. One other thing, the firewall has a plastic cover. I test fit my strut bar with it in place, traced around the mounting area and cut that area out with my cutoff wheel. Then I reinstalled the plastic cover before mounting the strut bar. Worked great.