How to tell if they're 3.73s

iwannarace67

Sep 24, 2001
Chicago, IL
So a friend of mine just went out and bought a fox body over the weekend which is cool. It's a 89 5-speed with supposedly a 3.73 gear. Now the car accelerates like a bat out of hell but it doesn't quite feel like a 3.73. Now how can I tell if the rear is really 3.73? Count the teeth on the gears?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the following will work.

Get the rear of the car up on jackstands, take it out of gear and make sure the Ebrake is off. Make a small mark on your driveshaft and have someone turn the drive tire in a complete rotation... Count the number of times the driveshaft goes around. If it goes around about 3 and a half times, it's 3.55s, about 3 and 3/4 times, 3.73s.. Just over 4 times, 4.10s, etc.

ironheart1 said:
I believe the following will work.

Get the rear of the car up on jackstands, take it out of gear and make sure the Ebrake is off. Make a small mark on your driveshaft and have someone turn the drive tire in a complete rotation... Count the number of times the driveshaft goes around. If it goes around about 3 and a half times, it's 3.55s, about 3 and 3/4 times, 3.73s.. Just over 4 times, 4.10s, etc.

Yep. This is definitely a good way to check.