huge debate...with my setup..

90mustangfan

Oct 18, 2005
So cal
Im in such a debate on what to do... First off the basic goal(430-450rwhp and 480-500 rwtq mid 11's in a fox(3200lbs) to get that power, Im going to have/do H/C/I w/ Kenne bell(9psi). I realize thats pushing the limits of the stock 302 block, which im ok with. Now to the debate. For the amount ill have invested into the motor by either rebuilding my current 302, or going with a all new rebuilt 351w. I know the 302 will be cheaper overall, but riskier b/c im pushing the block limits w/ hp. Now I can have it less riskier by buying a 351w, that will hold the power but add alot more complications to do the swap, and is possible the KB will not work with the 351 deck high on a gt-40(lighting)lower. So the debate is should I just stick with the rebuilt 302-306 H/C/I Kb 9psi, or spend more/add more complications w/ 351w h/c/i kb 9psi that will handle the power better...what would you do if you had the money. Note> I like the simplicity if the 302(less work invloved), but it seems that 351w(more work involved) may be better, but I Dont know. also its not a track car, its a daily driver, that has to pass Ca emissions, that will see track pretty often.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say go with the 302 for CA emissions. I'm pretty sure the 302 will hold the power alright not so sure about the fox suspension and rear end though. That kind of torque could seriously demage the rear end if its not built properly or if U've taken any kind of short cuts. Just my .2

The question really lies in how much money DO you have to put into this?

What is your budget? Do you have enough to go aftermarket 302 block? Granted you could go 351 and build a 393 then charge it for ~ the same $ as going aftermarket 302 block/full on build..

What kind of numbers are you looking at money wise?

-G

well id like to spend..

I would like to spend somewhat on a budget so I can put air bag susp, and other modifications. but if certain parts are needed then ill spend the extra, im sorta spending as im going.
AFR 185 head 1200
Gt-40 lower 200
custom cam 300
75mm tb 200
42# inj. 350
full exhaust 900
RR's pushrods,lifters,valve covers,gaskets, misc bolts/hardware 500
aprox total for motor around $3000-3500 depending on brands of parts
and If my 302 need a rebuild another $1000. Then the KB 3600 blozilla w/ bypass valve. and MAF,boost a pump, chip.
thats about 6000-7000 for almost every thing...
For the cost, im almost debating getting a crate motor for around $3000 and have them build it with the head/cam/intake I want. then just drop in the motor and bolt on the supercharger. what do you think about that, would it be better in the end to hold the boost ill throw at it?
mabye a DSS or some of these other engine builders

I would like to spend somewhat on a budget so I can put air bag susp, and other modifications. but if certain parts are needed then ill spend the extra, im sorta spending as im going.
AFR 185 head 1200
Gt-40 lower 200
custom cam 300
75mm tb 200
42# inj. 350
full exhaust 900
RR's pushrods,lifters,valve covers,gaskets, misc bolts/hardware 500
aprox total for motor around $3000-3500 depending on brands of parts
and If my 302 need a rebuild another $1000. Then the KB 3600 blozilla w/ bypass valve. and MAF,boost a pump, chip.
thats about 6000-7000 for almost every thing...
For the cost, im almost debating getting a crate motor for around $3000 and have them build it with the head/cam/intake I want. then just drop in the motor and bolt on the supercharger. what do you think about that, would it be better in the end to hold the boost ill throw at it?
mabye a DSS or some of these other engine builders

You can just build a 347 and do all the sups. work and get in to the mid 11 for that price.

well with the 347, I dont personally like the rod ratio. But I think youll have to have too radical of a setup to make 400+rwhp and 500rwtq, I think 347 stroker, afr 185', trickflow intake, and custom cam, just wont cut that power, it could run 11's but it will be mostly a suspension and launch car to get 11's. with the 302, h/c/i, KB 9psi, it will 11's on stock susp, and get in the 11's from the power. If I we to stoke my motor it would be a 331 h/c/i, and then a blower.