Hurst Billet Competition Plus Shifter

FIRE IT UP

Jan 10, 2009
I'm looking into a new shifter for my mustang and from what I can tell, the Hurst Billet Competition Plus Shifter has the most bang for its buck. Anyone have any opinions about this one or which one may be better. Keep in mind, Ford Racings shifter is more expensive and looks to be a hurst comp shifter, just private labeled. Thanks for any input on this one!! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I installed this piece on my '07. The throw is very short compared to stock. It's very notchy, but with normal shifting it's not hard to shift...it's just very "mechanical." Very easy to drive/shift under normal conditions.

If I have the "need" to shift quickly, I find that I'm slower than with the stock shifter. Not terribly slow, but it takes a little more effort to get in the gate when you are shifting under "duress"...aka, racing. :)

Shifting into 3rd (for me) is definitely slower, again, the notchiness of it.

At times there is a slight "buzz" that can be heard...I think it's where the stick and ball meet (inside the ball?...as the lock nut is tight). It doesn't happen all the time, relatively rare, actually. But it happens. Same can be said for many aftermarket shifters as they all pretty much use poly bushings instead of rubber. Thus, more vibration is transferred through the linkage.

So, to sum things up:
1. It looks great.
2. Around town driving is a breeze and pleasant to row gears.
3. If you're a balls-out racer, you may not like it.
4. Occasional mild buzzing sound.

Hope this helps.

I love mine, had it for a while now. Shifting is notchy compared to the original but just feels "right" not sloppy at all. Lube the poly bushings well and while your there change the trans fluid to Royal Purple Syncromax. I had the same occasional buzzing sounds and with the new shifter and the gear whine was louder. Royal Purple took care of most of the noise. Easiest way to fill the trans is through the shifter hole using a funnel and long hose. Snake the hose from the shifter hole in the body to the trans and use the funnel to fill it while sitting in the car on the seat. Way easier to do than the old pump method.