Hurst Competition Plus shifter question

chuck gibson

Aug 2, 2019
My 67 Coupe is running a 289 HP with a Borg Warner T10.
I've installed a Hurst Competition Plus shifter that shifts from 1st through 4th like clockwork. When I shift it to reverse, the lever engages and the tranny hits reverse but the shifter lever does not follow the full distance causing the transmission to slip out of gear. The synchronizers are new as the transmission has just been rebuilt. When the transmission is shifted into reverse, I can crawl underneath the car and move the lever with my hand to fully engage it. When I set up the linkage, I had the transmission in neutral, a Hurst plastic neutral rod fully ingaged in the shifter holding it in the neutral position. The rods were all adjusted until they fit in the lever openings with ease. Is there something inside of the shifter body that could be preventing the reverse lever from travelling the full distance? Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Chuck

• Sponsors (?)

Some Hurst shifters had a separate reverse lock out lever that prevents it from accidently being shifted into reverse. That lever should be visible on top of the shifter box . I believe that some shifters may require you to push down on the shifter handle itself to be able for proper engagement move the lever into reverse.

By design, reverse will not have a synchronizer ring. It may not engage without pushing the clutch, unless the motor is running and the clutch pedal is pushed. Have you tried disconnecting the reverse linkage to see if you can manually put the car into reverse? It might require rotating a wheel or someone pushing the clutch.

I suggest removing the reverse rod linkage from the shifter, use the pin to align the lever, remove the pin, and see if you can put the shifter into reverse and move the lever fore or aft. It might only work one time unless you pin the levers to neutral again.

Quote--
"I suggest removing the reverse rod linkage from the shifter, use the pin to align the lever, remove the pin, and see if you can put the shifter into reverse and move the lever fore or aft. It might only work one time unless you pin the levers to neutral again.:"

That sounds like a plan. I may also get my gorgeous bride of 42 years to sit in the car and work the shifter while i am underneath it applying pressure to the reverse lever. It may be a few days before I can get back to it but I will post the results.

Thanks for your response!

Reactions: 1 user
Solved. I tightened the reverse linkage four turns and it works like a charm. I doulbt that the neutral pin would slide in at this point but the tranny shifts smooth and easy through out the gears.

Thanks for your input.