Hurst Shifter On Toploader 4speed (66 -289 Mustang Convertible)

Boggs0228

Oct 9, 2017
Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Problem: the transmisssion has been rebuilt but after moving shifter into reverse the transmission sticks in neutral and will not engage first or other gears.

To correct the problem, I have to wiggle the shifter for a few seconds - minutes before it "resets' and i can get it into first gear. what do you recommend I do to resolve this issue? I'm hesitant to take the stand on the street until i sort this out... : (

I'm not sure if its, bushing, adjustment of stops etc. any ideas?

Car: 66mustang convertible
Engine: 898
Trans Tremec 4Speed
Shifter: Hurst Comp Plus

• Sponsors (?)

Not adjusted correctly ,you need a 1/4 inch bolt to slip into the centering hole in the side of the shifter ,leave the arms and rods on the transmission but take the rods loose from the shifter arms .set the transmission in neutral using the arms ,adjust the rods so they slip back into the arms easily on the shifterand you should be good to go

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I've not been Under the car yet, should I be able to access the shifter hole under car without dropping the transmission? I have big giant hands that get in the way of small places.

: )

Boggs0228 (with giant hands)

Saturday morning. I finally Crawled under there (no lift yet) it's either Jenny Craig or a lift. Ima get the lift. Anyway, discovered the shifter stop bolt was missing 1.17cents and 30 mins and the shifter is now perfect. My fat hands were a tight fit but I managed. Turns out all I had to do was adjust the stop bolt with shifter in 3rd. I appreciate the advise and help!!

Reactions: 1 user