Hurst Vs Mgw Shifter - My Experience

2013 Geee T

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Oak Park, CA
I know there has been the ongoing shifter debate of this vs that but now that I have had experience with the Hurst and now MGW I just want to say that there is no comparison. The MGW is better in every way except for maybe looks. I had the Hurst first and had issues downshifting into 2nd, finding first when in a hurry and the occasional 3rd gear jam. Plus it was way too tall and was awkward when using 5th and 6th. Plus I would get this 1st to 4th thing like my car had the skipshift feature when shifting at low speed and RPMs.

The MGW shifts so smoothly, has a nice short throw and short handle. Reverse is a no brainer with the push down feature back and downshifting is easy as well as hitting 3rd every time (well almost but its probably me). It also feels solid and bulletproof.

So the bottom line is the only reason to go with a Hurst is if you like that old school look and the longer shifter handle. Or if you drive like your dad and just take things slow.

Attachments

• Hurst.jpg
    Hurst.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 920
  • MGW.jpg
    MGW.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 589
  • Sponsors (?)

I made the mistake of trying a Hurst, total junk!! I now have a Barton, which is leaps and bounds better than the Hurst. I will be changing over to the new gen 3 MGW in January
You should have went straight from a hurst to MGW you would have been floored the MGW was my 3rd shifter and i will never even try another one after the steeda then the hurst i have never felt something so solid and smooth. and SILENT key word since the elephant in te room with every STS install on the new mustangs is the noise.