Hydraulic slave cylinder for a T5

thejoe

Jul 7, 2020
Moscow, ID
Folks - which slave cylinder are y’all using for your T5 hydraulic conversions?

I’ve been through 2 wilwood slaves - they have a 1.38” travel and I think this is causing problems because I only need 0.9375 inches of travel at the end of the clutch fork. I think the master is overpressurizing the slave and blowing the O ring. It does not appear that I have a side load problem, though I might - I’m going to be particularly cautious with the next slave to make sure I do not.
Any recommendations? I’m looking for reliability. I have a 3/4” bore wilwood master if that helps.

• Sponsors (?)

I am using a hydraulic TOB, so not much help there(though McCleod sells one for the T5 if you wanted to go that route) but there are mechanical ways to change the throw...namely, by using a bell crank you can shorten or lengthen the throw, or change(even reverse) the direction.

Limit your pedal travel. Weld a bolt sleeve or threaded bushing in a location that allows you spin a bolt in and out to limit travel. Use jamb nut to lock it into place when it's set.

Have someone measure while you position the threaded bolt.

No more overextension and it's still adjustable if you determine later that you have to adjust for clutch wear.

Reactions: 1 user
The alternative would be to replace your master cylinder with one that has less volume per stroke. This method can make for a long pedal travel unless you totally change the shape of the pedal arm.

I prefer low travel on the clutch pedal. I think most folks are that way.

Except maybe this guy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFvW5tIDSOA&ab_channel=KevinTalbot

:jester:

I fabbed my own setup, used an '06 Ford Fusion Clutch Master Cylinder and a Toyota something or other slave cylinder. I made sure both were the same bore (3/4") and had the same stroke (1"). As was mentioned earlier, too much stroke or volume on the master cylinder is going to cause it to eject the slave cylinder piston. It's basic hydraulics! (quote from the movie RV, lol)