Hypothetical 4.6L swap in a 4th gen F-body

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
Someone else in the 5.0 forums made a good point in that while LS1 (or SBC for that matter) swaps into late model Mustangs are common, any Ford engine into a late model F-bodies are unheard of.

Interesting note though.......

All you "i bleed ford blue" guys who would never consider a GM motor in a mustang.....

how many GM cars are swapping in 4.6 motors to replace their LS series? Find a late model camaro or trans am with a ford engine.....best "hope" ford has for someone to want to swap the motor in would be the 03/Shelby GT500 DOHC motors.....

Any links? Any projects? Any videos? ANYTHING?

Yet we have whole sites dedicated to swapping in LS-series engines into mustangs.......

http://forums.stangnet.com/7932552-post36.html

I believe the point is since the LS1 is swapped much more into other vehicles than the Ford Windsor or Ford Mod motor being swapped into any vehicle, it's a sign it's superior.

However, if you were to take a '03 - '04 Cobra engine and swap it into a 4th gen F-body, what would it take? This would require knowledge of both Mustangs and F-bodies and since no one has really done it before there would be a lot of guess work involved. On another note, I can see a swap like this being frowned upon by both Ford and GM people where as a LS1 Mustang seems to get praise from both camps.

• Sponsors (?)

i may be wrong but like already stated...the mod motor is HUGE!! because the cams are above the motor it makes it alot wider. i dont think it's physically possible to fit that motor into an F-body. and the MAIN reason people swap the LS1 or any 350 for that matter into other cars is the cost. they are soooooo much cheaper to build high horsepower motors with lots of torque and they fit in almost everything. plus you have to be a real nimrod to screw one up because they are a really easy motor to assemble and are tough as nails. it truly is one of the greatest motors ever made....fo sho! and that is strait out of a true blue ford guy....sometimes the truth hurts. :rolleyes:

I would never throw a GM motor in a Ford. Thats going outside the bloodline in my book. If i want an LS1 car, ill buy an LS1 car. Not that I have anything against GM, I love the Trans Ams, but hellll NOo, a fully built 4.6/5.0 will do me just fine in my Ford.

So who in this day and age is arguing a modern Ford V8 makes more power for the size and weight than a GM LS-series motor?

There is a reason I didn't buy a Camaro/Formula, and it wasn't because I thought the engine is crap or something.

I always thought people swapped their LS1 into a Mustang so they could finally have a nice car to drive their engine around in :)

You cannot beat the upgradability and the power from the LSX motors, not to mention they are pretty much builit proof, They are real easy to work on, you have a vast network of parts house's that have many many parts for them.. typical V8 love em... the basic LS2 motors are under rated @ 400 HP,add 6psi of boost to it and you are at about 625 or so, you cant beat them...the block will handle 700 hp, but not advised. People are running 700 HP on their stock LSX blocks and internals and they are still running Thats why people never put the ford motor in a chevy, they would be down grading the car...

Larry