I can't believe I am back.....

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hello to all the old folks around here. I never thought I would be back after unloading my "surge demon" 93vert 5 years ago. This site sure has changed a lot!
Circumstances have sent me back into the seat of a 92 hatch. We bought this hatch for our son almost 2 years ago. It is the definition of a "Beater Car" if there ever was one. I mean it has been through hell and back. It pops, groans, spits, you name it. BUT, it hauls butt. It has 3.73 rear, Eibach lowering springs, and a few other items we added...Steeda clutch quadrant, cable, firewall. It has equal length shorty headers, my old Mac H pipe without cats, and 2 roaring Flowmaster's out the rear. I am amazed at the power this thing has considering what it looks like. It spins the rear tires all the way through 3rd gear with ease, but when it hooks I am slammed into the seat. Problem is...I don't know it's limits because as soon as the car hits 65 it starts shaking so bad I think the windshield's going to explode on me.
I inherited the car due to our son heading off to college. He's going to my old school, Auburn and being so far away we weren't about to let me out across the country in the stang. No airbag too. The windows sometimes go down or up...you never know. Can't lock the car because you might not get it open again. I mean..thinking back to how pretty my Surge demon car was...along with the 10,000 posts in the surge demon thread:bang: ... I can't believe I'm in something this ugly. At least it's fast?!
HE inherited my 05 4x4 Explorer I had tweaked out. Oh well, looks like I need to get busy working on this Stang.
I just couldn't believe how things come full circle.
It's like coming home?!
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I'm still in shock about being back in a Mustang. I figured it might happen eventually, but not in one that only a broke 14 yr old could afford:rolleyes:
Funny part about it is that it runs as strong, if not stronger than the awsome 93 I had. Yes, the one with the gazillion amount of parts and money in it (surge demon too). This one must have a rebuilt engine, but externally it looks totally stock? It looks like hell..o but runs great. It doesn't even surge!
I am trying to decide if I want to put any extra effort into trying to fix any of it up, or just run it until it dies or I get one of the kids out of college. Money is extra tight now, supporting 3 domiciles. Darn kids are at different schools..Texas Tech and Auburn. Funny thing...my wife still has HER 04 F-150 crew cab. She didn't have to suffer like me. I think if the AC worked I might like it a bit more.
It's good to see some familiar names around here, hard to believe it's been so long.
I'm heading over to the tech side to ask a few questions. Gotta get my feet wet again. Luckily I saved a lot of my notes and books from the last stang, so I have some basic info.
Ken

Yeah, I figured a few of you would remember my surge demon saga. I sure wish I had kept all those parts, but unfortunately they went with the car to it's new owner. I could kick myself to eternity for outsting that car. My kids cried for months. They had visions of taking it over one day. I have many, many regrets getting rid of it.
The pictures of this 92 don't show the real car. Some kid before us probably used spray paint cans to paint it...most likely over all the bondo they had to use to piece it back together?! There are at least 3 different colors coming through on different parts, and the top coat is flaking off like onion skin all over.
The interior is mostly cracked plastic and totally worn fabric. This car was definitely a salvage of some sort. The sheetmetal is dented all over and all the body seams do not line up. The bumpers are gouged out in many places, and all the paint has flaked off the front bumper. Believe me, it looks hideous coming down the road, but man it sounds bad ass! Like I said before, it pulls hard enough to put a grin on my face, and with the extreme low body stance, corners like pro-am. It hugs corners like a dream. Flat turns all the way and actually stays stuck firmly to the road. It would just take an enormous sum of cash to bring it back to half decent looks.
Good to see some familiar names on here...I checked in every now and then over the years, even came close to buying a Mach 1 a year ago.
Here's a shot of my 93.
Ken

Though I think you were before my time, I remember you (I think JRichker created the wonderful surging checklist with you in the back of his mind).

And I believe your son adopted a similar username and posted a few times here as well. :nice:

You had a smooth lookin vert with quite the laundry list of components. :banana:

Yep, that was my son. When we first got the GT it was a REAL Mess. Now it's just a mess?!
The tailpipes where tucked up against the rear tires where the tires actually rubbed through the pipes! The radiator overflow was the bottom of a milk just held in the fender with a coat hanger. The clutch cable was burned through. There were bare wires throughout the entire engine bay...a short waiting to happen. We got all the wiring cleaned up and replaced all the basic stuff to keep it running. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do any work on it at all or just let it die a slow, ugly death.
It is pretty tough shifting into all the gears...you gotta really yank to get it in. I have adjusted the Steeda firewall cable mount until my fingers are raw. Nothing helps. We replaced the cable already. All the mouldings are shot, most plastic is cracked..inside and out.
I'm just having so much fun reliving my younger years driving a GT again. I am pretty good with reparing Mustangs...probably done 5 over the years, but only one that was worse than this...a 73 coupe. We just don't come across many mustangs like these down here...Fox bodies are very rare around here. Never any for sale.
I suppose I should be happy that it's paid for. I'm still paying on my wifes 04 F-150, my daughters 04 V-6 mustang, and now my son's 05 Explorer. I sure don't have to worry about where I park it. Door dings could only improve it by adding some paint to the gouges?!!!
Yes, I remember you Hissin!
Ken

Ryan,
Thanks for the compliment. The vert was nice...I had worked it over pretty well. I had a couple of things going on that caused me to sell it. I won't mention the price because I will look more of the fool that I already feel I was/am. I will say that a guy got the deal of the century. It is long gone now, so no getting it back. It's been over 5 years and it's out of the state.
I was caught up in the Surge Demon syndrome that JRichter mentioned...I just couldn't shake it and it was eating at me. I SHOULD have just let the car sit and come back to it with a fresh mind, but I acted hastily.
I have also went through a major surgery that was coming up and knew I wouldn't be able to work on the car. I am still suffering chronic pain from the surgery years later (it will be like this for life), and the powerful drugs I have to take are limiting my activities. I do want to work on this old 92 as much as I can, but I will have to go easy.
I'm just glad to be back having fun with a mustang, and checking in here on stangnet. It's almost like I never left...almost.
I sure wish I had that box of items I sold to one of the members on here...now I could actually use them. I am going to be looking for some of the basic items soon...FRPP throttle body, C&L MAS, short throw shifter to start with.
Thanks again guys..good to see all of you.
Ken

That signature represents a TON of MONEY and countless hours that I practically gave away in a fit of stupidity. I'm probably still paying off some of those parts over 5 years later.
Ken