I couldn't take the drone....maybe I'm old...

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I recently put some flowmaster 40 series on my coupe. They were free, so I figured why not? Well, they sounded good at idle, but after that it just wasn't me. The looks from people as I cruised through a parking lot, the unbearable drone on the freeway, and not being able to hear the stereo just wasn't cutting it. I just replaced them with Dynomax Super Turbo's. The sound difference is unbelievable. It is just the right sound for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnw0PdwPCyI

Chris

• Useful
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm with you. I put a set of Flows on my '95 in 2015 and I'm ready for something else. Haven't decided what, though. I have a pair of Flowmaster HP2 mufflers and a pair of Walker QuietFlow SS 2.5" mufflers. Not sure which will eventually make their way onto the car.

I could probably put the Flows on the '66 when the time comes. Who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently put some flowmaster 40 series on my coupe. They were free, so I figured why not? Well, they sounded good at idle, but after that it just wasn't me. The looks from people as I cruised through a parking lot, the unbearable drone on the freeway, and not being able to hear the stereo just wasn't cutting it. I just replaced them with Dynomax Super Turbo's. The sound difference is unbelievable. It is just the right sound for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnw0PdwPCyI

Chris

Welcome to the big boys club.
Sooner or later, like all obnoxious mods, stuff that once was a “must have” now becomes a “must go”.

• Haha
I’ll be honest, I didn’t hear much of anything but your engine in the video, but I know they sound good in person. I too will probably end up with those on my car again. Had them in high school. They are a good mix, even if a bit quiet at idle.

Welcome to the big boys club.
Sooner or later, like all obnoxious mods, stuff that once was a “must have” now becomes a “must go”.

I think I have been in the club for a while...all of my cars have AC, I will not own a car that doesn't have cats, I see very little point in EGR delete. The flows like I said were free, I think I forgot why I hated them before. It didn't take long for the memory to return.

The first alteration to my notchback was getting rid of the SLP "bullet style mufflers" and going with 3 chamber Flowmasters. They have no freeway drone and are just the right amount of noise at speeds. 2 chambers are way louder.

I've been trying to tone down my car over the past few years. Currently run Ultra flows which have basically
eliminated the drone but I'm not satisfied. Next is a set of Jones Max flows, if I ever get around to installing them ..lol

Dynomax Super Turbo is what's on ElSuperPinto, and what was on my GMC as well. Huge improvement over the Flowmaster 40s that were on ElSuperPinto when I got it, and actually louder than the side-exit straight pipe on the GMC, but without the drone and popping.

They're in that sweet spot between "old enough to know better, but still too young to care" and "I'm too old for this :poo:."

• Agree
These Flowmaster 3 chambers have no drone, but they do have that traditional Flowmaster rumble synonymous with Fox Body Mustangs.
Screenshot_20200226-063254_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I have that 50 series Delta Flow on my Ram, I like it. I have Thrush 2 chambers on my Cobra II and the Summit brand Flowmaster knock offs on the vert. The Cobra is by far the loudest and I would really like to quiet it down, but I love the way it sounds. The vert isn't nearly as loud, but then again it still has a full stock system other than the mufflers whereas the Cobra has long tubes and an H pipe with no cats and turn downs. I've been toying with the idea of replacing both Mustangs' mufflers with the 50 series Delta Flow like I have on my truck, but suspect it wouldn't change them much compared to what they are now. I think the truck's exhaust is a good combination of sound while still being tolerable while driving. I barely hear it while driving with the stereo on, especially compared to the Cobra....

View: https://youtu.be/FAZs9S0FKE8

View: https://youtu.be/CWW_8jHMlYo

View: https://youtu.be/lgGduu0N3Rw

Reactions: 1 users
Is it on!!!! Ha ha 1st how many dang foxes do you have??? 2nd it’s surely quiet, very quiet compared to my car but I still like loud and raspy grumble. Nice ride man.... or rides!

I'm debating on how loud I want my '66 to be. It will never be a daily driver and I'm wondering if I could live with a pretty loud exhaust system on it. Turn downs, or tail pipes? If tail pipes, I want to get a '67 GT repro valance and cut out/graft the exhaust cutouts into a '66 valance.

just to be clear.. that guy is me.. LOL - i have "Pypes" on mine.. and talk about obnoxious.. I literally cant stand them.. I want the old fashioned Flowmaster sound - drone and all..lol
LOL , I had a Pypes cat back at one time with Violator mufflers it was pretty obnoxious.
Back then my 93GT wasn't emissions exempt , I took it to one place and when the tech had it inside on the rollers/sniffer
it was deafening, the woman working the front desk was getting annoyed..lol

Excessively loud cars annoy me. Even my own. I had an off-road H-pipe on my car for a hot minute. Even in my 20's, I was somewhat embarrassed to drive a car so loud.

After a get my new motor together, i'll likely change out the mufflers. Will be my Bassani catted X-pipe, and then some other muffler (currently running Flowmaster American Thunder) to quiet it down.

Of course, you can't ever ask a question like this on Bookface. If it's not an off-road Hpipe with the loudest mufflers possible (and a B cam), you get laughed at.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I run a dynomax ultraflo welded muffler catback (not to be confused with welded on).
Last year i had enough, the drone isn't horrible due to my engine and rear gear ratio (it doesn't cruise in the drone range), but I too can't stand drawing the attention of bystanders 500ft away.
So last summer I called dynomax, got the replacement superflo part numbers and when I went to buy them, turned out they gave me the numbers for a 2.25 set.
Maybe it's time I revisit it.
I've had mac, 2 and 3 chamber flowmasters, all these mufflers have one thing in common, they are better suited for the 18 to 24 crowd than they are for grown adults.
The ultraflo's are better than all 3 of those, but still not quiet enough for people that aren't looking for attention.
Flowmasters remind me of how guys with Harley's do to their exhaust, just make it loud for the sake of loud.

I have American Thunder with Borla X , and it used to be a turndown under the car. That was unbearable with drone. I like loud but the sound was like no mufflers. Put on the two tailpipes and its perfect. Only loud when you get on it. I do have to be a little respectful when passing people because I think I scare the hell out of old people when I blow by them.