I found a beauty! Can anyone help me?

94gt59000miles

Aug 27, 2007
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and I just bought a 94 gt with only 59000 miles. I know the guy who owned it and it he always washed it with eagle one spray instead of using a hose. This guy was nuts and he also kept under a cover in his garage. Anyway, I figured it was something all of you could appreciate. My question is this. The beauty is totally stock and really doesn't get up to quick. I only have a few hundred bucks to invest in her and wanted to get your recommendations on what I should invest in. I figured I should put an exhaust and intake on it to open it up a little. I like the flowmaster 40 series and the magnaflow exhaust as well, but I am really falling in love with the pro-flow twister exhaust on the 5.0's and I like the price better. Can anyone let me know what their first steps would be with around 300-400 bucks. Thanks a lot everyone and look forward to learning a bunch more.

• Sponsors (?)

welcome! pics are required from new people, especially if they "claim" to have found a beauty.

this is the best forum for 94/95 owners, the guys here are great and they have become friends.

i would get a full tune up, including new rotor, cap, fuel filter, plugs, wires. then you have a knows starting point for that kind of stuff. i'd also get the harmonic balancer checked out and have it replaced if it looks worn. they tend to go out of balance after 10+ years and can damage the engine if not fixed quickly.

after that, the first "go fast" mod is usually gears. that really makes it feel faster. then i'd say exhaust is a good "feel good" mod because the sound is important to some folks. then the lower intake is a good next upgrade because that is one of the biggest air flow restrictions.

First and foremost, welcome to StangNet. A cat-back isn't a bad start for mods, that's where I started, too. You can't go wrong with the tried and true Flowmaster or Magnaflow systems, but I'm not familiar with the Pro-Flow off hand. Gears can be had for around the same price range and they'd definitely help with the gitty-up that you're looking for. Also, toss a timing light on it and bump the timing to 14° or thereabout.

For a few hundred bucks, there are two options.

Gears if you want more speed, or exhaust if you want the sound with a little HP bump.

When I did my gears I was VERY happy.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby. The best bang per buck mod to begin with is a higher ratio ring & pinion in the rear diff. Everyone will have a different opinion but in my mind, the best all rounder for street use is 3.73:1 regardless of whether the tranny is manual or auto.
A cat-back exhaust on an otherwise stock engine might only add about 5rwhp so you won't feel that, but you'll definitely feel the effect of the higher ratio r&p though!
In the meantime you can do four "free" mods to gain about 10rwhp. One is to remove the elephant trunk-shaped silencer snout that's attached to the air filter housing from inside the passenger side fenderwell. That alone is worth about 4rwhp. The second is to remove the MAF sensor mesh screen. You'll need to remove the air filter housing as a complete assembly and dismantle it so you might as well remove the air silencer at the same time. When you have the MAF sensor housing apart, you'll have the opportunity to remove the MAF sensor from it, cut the restrictive bar that runs down the middle of the orifice in order to improve airflow, and reattach the MAF sensor. The fourth is to increase the base ignition timing advance from 10 degrees BTDC to 14 degrees BTDC.

Your first amount of money should go in to making sure everything on the car is in tip top shape do a tune up and check your suspension... Because what good are mods if 3 weeks later something breaks and your broke...

Here is what id do for mods:

Springs... $100 used...
Bump timing to 14.... Free...
Clean MAF... FREE! (best mod Ever)
Get a cheap CAI... $50-$75
Off ROad H pipe or X $150- $200 new or $50-$100 Used...
Go to performancepeddler.com and enter in EBAY as a cupon code... got my flowmaster american thunder shipped to my door for $217...
Then go get a few freinds to come over and help you throw parts at your car and buy them a few pizzas for about $30... :nice:

Get some gears! The single best bang for the buck mod I've done! remove the silencer like bullit said and bump the timing. These things will help the most for the smallest amount of money spent. I personally would go with a O/R X pipe after your funds have recovered from the gear install.