I got a 1990 Mustang GT crank problem I think

naildriverinnc

Sep 30, 2007
I got a shimmy and a shake in the car it's not the harmonic balancer or the flywheel. Does anyone know how the car would act if the crackshaft was bad or could this be the cause of my shimmy and shake:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Is it only while the vehicle is in motion, or while it's sitting still? Does it do it at any speed, or just at a certain speed and higher? Can you see the harmonic balancer wobbling? Is there a clunking/knocking sound coming from the lower end of the motor? :shrug:

I replaced the harmonic balancer with the original 50oz the rubber seal was pushing out of it. And yes when it's at an idle it's not as bad but when you give it gas it's real bad. It's a 5 speed it shakes in gear and out of gear so I ruled out the drive shaft. It kinda feels like the driveshaft is bent and when your sitting in the seat give it gas feels like it's gonna come through the floor board

So, you're saying it vibrates in or out of gear, either while moving or while at a standstill, and the vibration coincides with RPM's, correct? That pretty much rules out anything from the tranny on back, then, so at least you've narrowed it down to something with the motor. I still doubt that it's the crank, itself, though.

Even though you replaced the balancer before, have you looked at it to see if it's still wobbling? It's possible that you got a defective one, or that it may have been installed incorrectly/damaged during install (it happens).

Only other thing I can think of is, being that it's a 5-speed, is that your flywheel may be out of balance somehow. Either one of the tack-welded weights might've come off somehow, or it may not have been properly torqued down if/when it was last serviced, and so it's wobbling like mad. Do you have any vibration in the clutch pedal?

Has this engine been rebuilt? If so was it a 28 oz balance or 50 oz balance? If its a 28 oz balance and you put a 50 oz balancer on. It will shake.

No you can't feel it in the clutch and the harmonic balancer ain't wobbling. It's got a new 50oz balancer on it i installed a new one and the flywheel is also a 50 oz.This is all the guy I bought it from had done to it NEW 5.0L CRATE ENGINE W/ GT40 HEADS AND VALVE TRAIN
- NEW NEW WORLD T-5 TRANS AND SHORT THROW SHIFTER
- NEW 3.73 GEARS
- NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE FORD
MOTORSPORT CLUTCH
- COBRA INTAKE AND 70MM THROTTLE BODY
- COLD AIR INTAKE & UNDERDRIVE PULLEY'S