I have $2000 looking for 300hp and low 13's-high 12's

Maroon5.0

Dec 14, 2003
Alright guys i need some help, i have about $2000 to spend and im looking for a solid 300 hp to the wheels and would like to run low 13's high 12's. I currently have a set of gt-40p heads but am thinking of selling them, i also have 3.73's, edelbrock performer intake, march pulleys, and frpp short tubes. My car is and 89 5-speed hatch stock weight. What would you guys recommend? I need the max amount to be no more than 2000 so everything i need to intall a set of heads or whatever you guys recommend. let me know what you think. would a set of ported p heads net me 300 to the wheels? i mean i have seen some people close but i would like an almost gaurnteed 300hp with the combo I choose. Whatever combo i choose i will more than likely get a custom cam made by Ed Curtis if funds work out that way. The problem with buying a set of aluminum heads is that for most all i will need a set of hardened pushrods, rockers, better springs locks and retainers. o i almost forgot, In stock form i ran a best of 14.5 at 96mph on crappy all season tires. What does everyone think?

• Sponsors (?)

You can definately run some good times with the P heads and a nice cam to match them...You can definatley spend your money on the suspension and that alone will allow you to hit low 13's or even high 12's even though you may not be at your 300HP mark...There's lots of combos out there and there is no best setup up...it all depends how deep your pocket is and how expensive of a combo you want...

do you want this performance just at the strip, and not constant for DD?
If that is the case i would say a 75 shot of nitrous, a good set a slicks, a new driveshaft (to handle slicks), and suspension (control arms, trac bars, ect.).
If you go this route you would probably need a new shifter, and that would barely break the $2000 mark.

sorry guys forgot to say i would like to go N/A and would like some nice power on the street also. but what is the risk in buying a used charger? should i port the stock heads then? how safe is it with the stock bottom end? i never though about going that route, but what do you guys think, na power wise

I don't know about anyone else, but I was talking N/A. A set of P-heads, Intake, and exhaust - with gears and a 5-speed should run low 13's, or even 12's if you run slicks. You don't need to make 5-zillion horsepower to run those times.

Willys1: he has to GT-40P heads and not the GT-40 heads
89MustangGX: Did you ever sell your car?

Maroon5.0: I have seen some impressinve combos with the GT-40P heads...however, you can buy a blower Vortech SC-Trim they go for right around $1700.00 new...you can use them with your intake (performer) the GT-40P heads and a stock cam or call Ed C. to make a blower cam and you will definately hit 300RWHP and will run 12's all day long if not better...however, with that much HP be concerned with the tranny and suspension...

Highbredcloud said:
Willys1: he has to GT-40P heads and not the GT-40 heads
89MustangGX: Did you ever sell your car?

Maroon5.0: I have seen some impressinve combos with the GT-40P heads...however, you can buy a blower Vortech SC-Trim they go for right around $1700.00 new...you can use them with your intake (performer) the GT-40P heads and a stock cam or call Ed C. to make a blower cam and you will definately hit 300RWHP and will run 12's all day long if not better...however, with that much HP be concerned with the tranny and suspension...
**OOPPPS,hey whats the difference?

willys1 said:
**OOPPPS,hey whats the difference?

Cast iron heads flow 185cfm 1.84 / 1.46 valves and 60cc chambers. The GT-40 are basically the same...just with the GT-40 P you need certain headers although I have heard you can use MAC headers instead the ones provided by FORD...What is intersting is that the original GT-40 go for more on eBay than the GT-40 P heads...you can find them on eBay with port work for cheaper than you would the GT-40 heads.

Highbredcloud said:
Cast iron heads flow 185cfm 1.84 / 1.46 valves and 60cc chambers. The GT-40 are basically the same...just with the GT-40 P you need certain headers although I have heard you can use MAC headers instead the ones provided by FORD...What is intersting is that the original GT-40 go for more on eBay than the GT-40 P heads...you can find them on eBay with port work for cheaper than you would the GT-40 heads.
Do they make the same power as gt-40 heads,can I use FMS shorties?

Highbredcloud said:
They will make the same or maybe just a bit much more than the GT-40 heads...I know that FORD RACING has shortie headers for the P's so NO the regular FMS shorties will not work or they wouldn't have that option...
Where did the gt-40p heads come from?Are they better then ported e-7's,,,say thumper heads?