I just found out...big debate

90mustangfan

Oct 18, 2005
So cal
I didnt know that 96-98 cobras come with 305hp...Heck this brings up new debate...
I could build a fox h/c/i KB or get a 96' cobra and just KB+little mod's, both will put out around 430rwhp, In the end thats the goal 430rwhp...From the money stand point, I have enough to do either around 10k-11k + or - some including the car...Now the way I look at it
96' cobra(305hp) $6500(car)+ KB $3500+$1500(exhaust/tune/gear/misc)
...OR...
Foxbody (225hp) $4000+H/C/I $2000+KB $3500+$1500(exhaust/tune/gears/misc)
Both equal 11k total prolly more for the fox because it needs more.
Now to the debate.
My POV the fox may be alittle quicker(if any), but will have more modding bugs, its older, not a updated/modern/ may need more invested to handle the power, more work(building the motor)

Now the cobra is well a COBRA(status), newer,updated int., modern styling, damn fast also, less bugs(due to the fact of less motor work) overall nicer

One key factor is that the car has to pass CA emissions. that being said, the cobra will be easier to pass smog, because theres no motor work in changing H/C/I like the fox has, the cobra is just bolt on emissions legal KB and whola 400+hp. the Fox well more involved to build the motor, IE h/c/i, matching all emissions legal parts, modding bugs' etc....I love both types/stlye of mustang..but for everything in consideration
What would you do...Debate on

• Sponsors (?)

I have both cars. First off, if you've been working on 5.0's all your life, the 4.6 DOHC is a completely different animal and shares nothing with the older engine. You will have to relearn everything. Also, the engine bay of the Cobra is incredibly cramped and a PITA to work in. 430 rwhp with a KB isn't as easy to get as you think. The kits offered for the 96-98 cars are not, nor can they be, intercooled. My wife's car dynos at 385 to the rear wheels and there's not a lot left to play with. My buddy has an older KB and has upgraded to 42 lbers, a Lighting mass air and an SCT tune. I can't remember his exact number, but he's just over 400. So it can be done, but it will take a bit of time and money. Your hp goal would probably be more easily realized with a Vortech.

My 5.0 has H/C/I and should be right at 300 rwhp when I finish my tranny swap. Bolting on a Blowzilla should put me easily over 400.

If you made me pick just one of my cars, I'd keep the 5.0 over the Cobra. It "feels" quicker, even though the Cobra has more power and it is much easier to work on. Also, I feel that the 5.0 will be much more durable and long-lasting than the 4.6. On a scale of 1 to 100, the availability of aftermarket performance parts for the 5.0 is 100 and for the DOHC is about a 6.

To sum up, if you want simple, easy to work on, inexpensive and fun, get the 5.0. If you want a bit more refinement and more power out of the box, get the Cobra. Or you can just do like me and get both.

Good luck.

430RWHP with a KB isn't realistic. 96-98 Cobra's only put down about 380RWHP max. They generate too much heat and the internals cannot take it. You should use a centrificul supercharger. I made 414RWHP stock engine, 8lbs of boost. I could add meth, and 14lbs and see over 500RWHP and be safe. Meth cools the boost.

Meth is something to think about if you go with a KB, but I still don't think you can up the boost that much. The meth should reduce your air temps from 85-120* depending on boost and outside temperature.

You also need to factor in a tranny for the fox. I think the cobra would be able to get away with 400rwhp with the stock tremec...but the Fox's T5 will fall apart almost instantly with 400rwhp if you intend to do any kind of hard shifting/racing. And really whats the point of building a car like this and not slamming a couple gears.

Either way...at 2000 bucks to the fox price to include a new TKO, clutch, and driveshaft.

Actually when it comes to the clutch you need to tack on another 350-450 bucks for a new clutch on both cars.

Id go with the cobra....five lug already, 4 wheel disks, Beefier trans, Much more streetable twin cam AL block motor, and much better interior/sound system...a cup holder.

You also need to factor in a tranny for the fox. I think the cobra would be able to get away with 400rwhp with the stock tremec...but the Fox's T5 will fall apart almost instantly with 400rwhp if you intend to do any kind of hard shifting/racing. And really whats the point of building a car like this and not slamming a couple gears.

The 96-98 Cobras come with a wussy T45, not a Tremec. If anything, the T45 is worse than the T-5. The transmission is probably the weakest point in the Cobra drivetrain. A T-56 is the next major upgrade for our car.

I was also considering, Speed for speed, It seems that a 96 cobra will be around 420rwhp from a Vortech or Procharger....Will the Fox be faster with the KB? see both are starting at around Fox(h/c/I)-(300RWhp)+KB 130hp(8psi)=430rwhp VS 96 cobra(270rwhp)+procharger(140hp-8psi)=410rwhp.Aside from the fox having alittle more power, it would It really woop the Cobra because the KB=instant boost and more TQ(5.0), Than the cobra w/ centri blower/ less TQ(4.6)?

Well some guys beat me to it.

The Kenne Bell option makes much of it's power under the curve (not a bad thing), and with the stock boost levels and especially stock rotating assembly, 430rwhp is likely to cause an uproar in the engine bay.

Those numbers are more so for the centrifigual superchargers with a 10# pulley set-up.

In order for you to drive those cars and feel good about it, when beating on it, the bottom end's would need to be addressed. Rods/Pistons in particular. The stock block on a 5.0L may need to be looked at as well.

A stock 96-98 Cobra runs 101 or so mph in the quarter. They dyno in the 250-260rwhp range IIRC. Peak.

A 260hp SOHC GT runs 100mph in the quarter mile with 45 less horsepower:) It isn't all about peak brake horsepower...

The 96-98 cobra use the "B" head witch has two ports per cylinder,and a throttle/vacuum controled intake blade system.Best I can explain it would be like having the secondaries start to open up on a older car,it just start pulling.But untill then (below 3/3500rpm or w/e it was) it will be a big slow dog.

Btw,I do believe that the Fox is lighter in wiegth?

The 96-98 cobra use the "B" head witch has two ports per cylinder,and a throttle/vacuum controled intake blade system.Best I can explain it would be like having the secondaries start to open up on a older car,it just start pulling.But untill then (below 3/3500rpm or w/e it was) it will be a big slow dog.

Btw,I do believe that the Fox is lighter in wiegth?

Yep, from '93-'98 they used the B head. 99+ used the C head. They both flow very close to each other, as you know.

That little gizmo your talking about is the Intake Runner Manifold Control Valve (IRMC). Installed to 'help' promote lower end torque, until you want to go WOT at 3,500 IIRC. Many delete the butterflies on them...

I messed with one on my girlfriend's parents SHO once upon a time...

fox ftw......

i like the 96-98 cobras alot though...go for what suits your driving stlye best....do you plan this to be your DD if so id go for the cobra...if its just a toy...go for the fox.