Engine I Made A Boo Boo. Need Freeze Plug Info

Ok I got a rebuilt engine from a great company but, while I was diagnosing some things and only used water for the coolant. Here in Louisiana the weather is crazy. Freezing one day and warm the next. Caught me on a freezing night and forgot I had just water in there. Went yesterday to change some pushrods. My mechanic friend noticed a freeze plug laying on the motor mount. I was like it can't be but it was.the freeze plug had the company stamp on it. I'm thinking change the ones on the side of the block. Are there any in the rear that the coolant flows through? I'm going to use the rubber plugs and see.hoping my block isn't cracked. A temporary fix.is it possible the oil plugs popped too?

• Sponsors (?)

What about this big one above the crank? If I were to start the engine would water flow out the back?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394438947168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394438947168.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 110
Fill it up with water and you will see right away if there is water pouring out the back of the engine. Don't start it till you know it holds pressure... You can rent a pressure test kit at auto zone or the like

Ok I'll rent the tool and see. Thanks. My.own friends have been telling to sell the car and that really made me mad. After getting two bad engines from mps auto salvage and then finally getting a great engine from mabbco I'm hoping the block really isn't cracked. If it is I'll just go with a 351. Been a long journey and I'm ready to drive my first car.

Check your oil as well, some times they will crack internally . Some times they will crack into the cylinder and it will fill with water .If you try to spin the motor it will hydraulic the rod /bend the rod. Pull the plugs and turn it slowly and see if water squirts out of the plug holes. I would only use those rubber plugs for an emergency and not run them .I would also never run straight water ,not even just to start up ,it will quickly rust the inside of the block leaving you with what looks like chocolate milk.

Thanks. I only filled with water to diagnose a leak on the timing cover. I haven't went back out to look at it. I'm thinking the worse though. I'll probably get a 351 short block and do a swap. Yes I'm only using them temporary. I won't run on the street. Just want to see if the block is cracked and if it runs hot. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow and spin it over to see. I'm really hoping it's not cracked. I'll update tomorrow with the results.

Ok checked out the engine yesterday and all freeze plugs blown but no water in the oil.That a good sign I guess. Won't know till I get it back running. No visible cracks. No water on the plugs nor did they come out the plug holes. I'm really thinking just going to a 351 since I have the headers and stuff off. Will update on how it runs once I get it back together.