I need a new trans to replace my stock one...and suggestions?

fastenough

Jan 15, 2010
I have a Saleen(2001) with 444flbs/rw and 490hp/rw and have heard now from lookin on several forums the tremek tko's suck and the G-Force are no good as well...any recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

If neither of those trannies will cut it for you, then you are looking at an aftermarket t-56 as the best manual left. But you might want to a consider built automatic as well. My Viper spec t-56 is rated at 750 ft-lbs, so you definitely would have room to grow with one of those units. I got mine from D&D performance and have been completely satisfied with it.

thanks for reply

I have a t-5 i believe. Not to familiar with cars at the moment but i do think it is the T-5 that came in the GT's in 2001 right? Im just gun-shy so to speak whenever i do anything with this vehicle because im willing to pay to have it done right the first time, but finding a professional to do it or know about it is the my biggest problem. Thanks for the input!

I have a t-5 i believe. Not to familiar with cars at the moment but i do think it is the T-5 that came in the GT's in 2001 right? Im just gun-shy so to speak whenever i do anything with this vehicle because im willing to pay to have it done right the first time, but finding a professional to do it or know about it is the my biggest problem. Thanks for the input!

T-45.

What's wrong with it right now that you need to replace it?

What are you running for tires? Do you drag race the car?

The reason I ask is that if you're running drag slicks on a prepped surface and dumping the clutch to get 1.4-sec 60-ft times and "power shifting" down the track then, yeah, you're probably going to hurt that trans (and eventually the stock rear as well...) But if you're running moderately sized street tires and have traction issues your trans may survive: Lack of traction is a "safety valve" that can save other drivetrain parts.

tire size

265/35/18 but as for problems with the trans my syncro's are goin out. And i don't want to end up destroying a potentially good trans case if rebuilding it is definately and option. No i will never go back to the drag stip until im and absolutely sure the car is ready for it. Which might be never,lol.

Your t-45 is rated to handle 365ft-lbs which is pretty impressive for what it is, a stock mustang cobra or f-body t-56 is 440, a tko500 is rated at 500, the tko600 is rated at 650 and the viper spec t-56 (magnum)/Tremec 6060 is 750. You can figure on a 20% over-engineering cushion for each of them.

You have 444 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels, that comes out to roughly 525 ft-lbs at the flywheel assuming a 15% loss from flywheel to tires. To put that in perspective, most Ferrari and Lambo engines don't have torque levels that high.

Not that your max torque is relatively important anyhow, what really matters is how much sustained torque you can put through your tires to the ground, because that is what the tranny is really loaded with. With 265 tires I would say it's a safe bet you are somewhere beyond the rated capacity of your stock t-45. You could maybe get by with your current tires for a while, but I wouldn't invest in a rebuild or a new t-45 for it.

Breaking stock trannies is going to become an all too familiar thing at your power levels. If you go to the track and throw slicks on, or even drag radials, it will be a toss up as to what you break first, your tranny, or your rear end.....assuming you don't vape your clutch first.

This is not a cheap hobby, you have to pay to play. The most economical way is doing it right the first time and making sure you leave yourself room to grow.

Can you beef up a t-45 to handle your power levels, maybe. Would I want to try and prove it....absolutely not. Your engine at this point is extreme high performance, you need a proper tranny to back it up. A stock tranny will not stand up to the loads for very long.

This is your build, so do it the way you see fit. All I am offering is a perspective on what has been done and either worked or failed. In any case have fun, because that's what hobbies are for.

Your t-45 is rated to handle 365ft-lbs which is pretty impressive for what it is, a stock mustang cobra or f-body t-56 is 440, a tko500 is rated at 500, the tko600 is rated at 650 and the viper spec t-56 (magnum)/Tremec 6060 is 750. You can figure on a 20% over-engineering cushion for each of them.
That is great info was all that from memory? :hail2:

Yeah, kind of a curse really, comes with the OCD. Those darn numbers, they get stuck in my head taking up all the space and they won't come out. Too bad I can't do the same with little things like doctor appts, anniversaries, and other things that get me in trouble with my better half.

You definitely don't score points for spouting off cam profiles when you forget what you are shopping for at the grocery store.

ok not to be rude i value all of ur opinions, but i think we got off subject. I know my tranny won't handle my power levels ( no matter how much i slap her) I just want to know what trans is the better on the market so i purchase at least close to the right one. I have read on the new magnum t-56 from D n D Perf., and the Viper Spec that was metioned earlier. I think the New Magnum at the lesser cost is ideal for me and my power levels now and with room to grow. Just curious if u have heard or have xp with this "New" t-56 magnum?

Budget?

In 2003 i bought it for 32k and have spent 20k on it since(should have bought a ZO6). So if i am goin to finish it i might as well finish it. Just need some ppl that have xp with different transmissions and hopefully i pick the right one.

Oh Sry...

I am kinda in that step at the moment. Seeing what my options are but so far it looks like a 2.5 - 4k range gettin everything i need to have it installed (turn key if u will) completely.