I need a tach install sticky/diy

Makdaddymac

May 28, 2005
orlando
is there any out there?

do you really have to wire them to the coil? isnt there some wires under the dash o tap into? or is that just a bad stock tach....i have a 7" autogage with shift light.....
idk if the shift light is something that is ran through the gauge or something that has to be wired in extra.....

basically i need a diagram or something, and idiot diagram please(colorful pics):rolleyes:

or just some advice or pointers, im skeptical with wiring, especially how hard it is to get the speedogear/wire back on the gauge cluster:flag:

just some heads up. im getting really familiar with the foxes, but i always check with you guys!!!(its sad) but i sware i cant put air in my tires without asking you guys anymore lmao!!!! thanks :SNSign: gang for all your help thus far....and good luck on your projects

• Sponsors (?)

a 7" tach?! :jaw: lol i think you mean 5".

anyways, yeah man, you have to run it to the tach, it's way less complicated that way anyway. just put a male spade connector on the end of it and run it through the firewall.

for the illumination wire, splice into the headlight switch harness. i can't remember which wire it is exactly, it's been a while since i wired one, and i took mine out last year and sold it. just get a test light and see which wire gets power when the switch is on, and no power when off.

for the 12v, you have to use a switched source, otherwise your tach will always have power. iirc, i spliced into the 12v switch wire for my radio. any accessory that only works with the key to the "on" position will work.

im sure you know what to do with a ground...either put a loop terminal on the end of it and bolt it to a piece of metal somewhere, or splice it into a ground wire for anything.

lol yeah 5"

cenok when you say "tach" you mean coil right??,where exactly do i connect it?

the ground is a no brainer....
the 12v is ok but what wire/sorces are remote.....????

so im guessing the green goes to the coil or the white....:shrug:
i have red ,green, white and black.

lol yeah 5"

cenok when you say "tach" you mean coil right??,where exactly do i connect it?

the ground is a no brainer....
the 12v is ok but what wire/sorces are remote.....????

so im guessing the green goes to the coil or the white....:shrug:
i have red ,green, white and black.

hah yeah my bad, i meant to type coil. you just stick it down in the hot wire. like i said, the radio has a 12v switched wire, that'd probably be the easiest one to splice into, or into the actual ignition wiring in the steering column. white is illumination, the one that splices into the headlight switch, red is 12v switch, black is ground, green goes to the coil. the first link 85ss posted has a nice little diagram you can use.