I need header help

mustangbrad

Aug 16, 2004
My setup: '70 sportsroof, 408W, Trick Flow heads, TKO 600 trans. I require 1 3/4" primary tubes and would like to run a cable clutch. I hear that Hooker Super Comps will work, but ground clearance can be an issue. I would like to go with Ford Powertrain Applications, but they don't think theirs will work with a cable clutch. Do I have any other options? Should I just go with a hydraulic clutch? I'm hoping somebody is running a similar combination and can advise me.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running 347 with T5 and Hooker Comp's and decided to go hydraulic for a few reasons 1)cable would interfere with power brakes and really close to headers, hydraulic is realy easy to plumb into small spaces 2)read too many threads on cables melting from headers, 3)hydraulic is easy on the leg. I would think a hydraulic clutch would be available for your setup as well. If you are bent on doing cable, you might need to look into going with shorty headers.

I originally wanted hydraulic, but Bruce at Modern Driveline pushed the cable. All of the sorty headers I found were 1 5/8" primaries, and that is just not big enough for my 408. I think I will just go back to hydraulic, unless someone has a better idea.

I'm running 347 with T5 and Hooker Comp's and decided to go hydraulic for a few reasons 1)cable would interfere with power brakes and really close to headers, hydraulic is realy easy to plumb into small spaces
Not to hijack your thread, but I have always been told that a hyraulic clutch won't work with power brakes. Or is that just on the 65-66 cars? Do you have any pics? I was ready to go cable, but if the hydraulic will fit, it would make for a much cleaner install.
Thanks, Rick D.

I can't speak for 65/66, but it fits fine on the 67/68 without a problem. I'm sure others on this forum have info on that config. For pictures, hit the link to my CarDomain site in my signature.
Posted via Mobile Device