I need help on a 9in seal?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 9in but dont know the year. My housing is leaking by where you put the axle in. I pulled the seal and dont have a part number. The part stores cant find it either. Which I think is b.s So anything at this point in time will help. Thanks

Well, no doubt you're dealing with the "year-make-model" book readers, who have no capacity to do anything but read the screen. Really, there's only a few possibilities, even if the rear in your car is from a different year. Slap a ruler on it, and call somebody who will actually pull parts and measure them, like Glazier Nolan.

This thing had no part number on it at all. It was bright green so it would have been easy to read a number off. That link did not have what I was looking for I read that one a few times. What is the name of the seal? Just a tube seal or would it be some other name. Thanks for the help

The part stores cant find it either.

It's because they call them a "wheel seal" not an axle seal. Go into any of the chain parts stores and ask for a wheel seal and they should be able to help you out.

It's my understanding that 8 and small bearing 9 inchers w/28 spline axles use the same seal. Start with a 67 289 powered car and you will get the small seal.

70 torino with a 429 should get you a big bearing seal.

good luck

what size axle tubes do you have? i have a custom currie 9" with 3" axle tubes and a small bearing. i use the stock 28 spline axles and its a "67 mustang with a 390" axle (wheel) seal. this is the way you have to describe stuff to the parts guys.