Drivetrain I Need Some Flywheel help/knowledge please

Alykai

Jun 10, 2019
Missouri
So I'm trying to get my engine and tranny back in my car. I got the flywheel bolted down, and started installing the clutch and pressure plate. The pressure plate does not match up to any of the dowl pins in the flywheel, close but no match. I thought maybe I got the wrong clutch, but the clutch kit was correct. The only other thing I can think of, is if it is the wrong flywheel for my car. I got the car as a roller, but with the engine and tranny and a crap ton of foxbody parts. I assumed the flywheel I had was the right one, so I decided to have it resurfaced and use it. Now, here's my question(s). When I measure the flywheel from top tooth to bottom, it measures 14" in diameter. Everywhere I have looked for flywheels for this car, they say the flywheel is 10" in diameter. Can anyone tell me if I am right or wrong with this assumption please? For the record, its a factory 302, with the factory T5 tranny, all stock.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

Photos of the flywheel? Any identifying markings,

10” refers to the diameter of the contact surface for the clutch disk. Should actually be around 10.5” or so. Actual flywheel should be 12-14” ish

Photos of the flywheel? Any identifying markings,

10” refers to the diameter of the contact surface for the clutch disk. Should actually be around 10.5” or so. Actual flywheel should be 12-14” ish
I will try to get a pic of it soon. That is what I was wanting to know though, basically, how to measure it. Thank you very much!

Flywheels are cheap. If you have a clutch kit for an 87-93 5.0 Mustang go buy a new flywheel for an 87-93 mustang 5.0. Easiest solution. I know you can get a new one for around $75.

Chris

Just wanted to let everyone know, it was the flywheel after all. I got a new one that the pressure plate fits perfectly, and it is a lot smaller than the one I was trying to use. Like I said earlier, this car basically came in pieces like a giant puzzle, and that was the only flywheel that was in with the parts. Thanks to everyone that gave me some feedback on it all!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to let everyone know, it was the flywheel after all. I got a new one that the pressure plate fits perfectly, and it is a lot smaller than the one I was trying to use. Like I said earlier, this car basically came in pieces like a giant puzzle, and that was the only flywheel that was in with the parts. Thanks to everyone that gave me some feedback on it all!!!

Heh... I was typing as you were.