I REALLY fixed my charging problem this time!

Can you guys elaborate on the 4 ga alternator wire. I believe my car has an upgraded alternator (bracket is notched, enclosed design). What can I look for to make sure the wiring is sufficient. Is this a 4 ga fused power wire? Or just a 4 ga ground (off the alt)?

• Sponsors (?)

Philstang said:
Can you guys elaborate on the 4 ga alternator wire. I believe my car has an upgraded alternator (bracket is notched, enclosed design). What can I look for to make sure the wiring is sufficient. Is this a 4 ga fused power wire? Or just a 4 ga ground (off the alt)?
yep, a 4 AWG cable from the alt to solenoid (stock is 10 AWG, IIRC). huge difference. if you have an upgraded cable, it should have fuse protection in series along the cable. and the power ground should be there, but some folks omit/dont know to do that.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
yep, a 4 AWG cable from the alt to solenoid (stock is 10 AWG, IIRC). huge difference. if you have an upgraded cable, it should have fuse protection in series along the cable. and the power ground should be there, but some folks omit/dont know to do that.

good luck.
power ground? Do you just mean a good chassis to motor ground? I still need to put an in-line fuse on mine. The guy above asked and no one ever answered, so what's the best size? My alt is a 140 amp powermaster, but I doubt it ever hits 140 amps. I suppose I should get a 140 amp fuse?

I think my local radio shacks suck because I don't think they have big fuses like that lol.

HISSIN50 said:

good luck.
ok... I see a black wire and a black w/ orange stripe coming off the alternator on the same post, are these + or -? Is this what I should upgrade to 4 gauge?

Philstang said:
ok... I see a black wire and a black w/ orange stripe coming off the alternator on the same post, are these + or -? Is this what I should upgrade to 4 gauge?
that sounds like the stock 10 gauge wire for a stock alternator. I would really want to know if you have an upgraded (output) alternator. if so, that could be a fire waiting to happen.

Yes, that wire is what gets redone with a 4 or 2 AWG cable (for the extra output of the alternator).

you should also upgrade the secondary power cable to accomodate the extra output of the 3G alternator (if you have one). it would be like having a stock stereo receiver in some old car and installing a 200 watt deck - you would upgrade the stock power AND ground wiring to accomodate the extra power.

TheUser said:
power ground? Do you just mean a good chassis to motor ground? I still need to put an in-line fuse on mine. The guy above asked and no one ever answered, so what's the best size? My alt is a 140 amp powermaster, but I doubt it ever hits 140 amps. I suppose I should get a 140 amp fuse?

I think my local radio shacks suck because I don't think they have big fuses like that lol.

James, yeah, the secondary power ground is just an upgraded chassis to motor ground.

James, anything from 125 amps on up should do it. I think a run of 4 gauge cable from the alt to the solenoid is rated a hair under 140 amps anyhow (unless you have a lot of extra cable). and we have to remember that when most fuses blow, it is a 'timed burn'. Jrichker is really the one to ask on that. just my two cents. good luck bud.

HISSIN50 said:
that sounds like the stock 10 gauge wire for a stock alternator. I would really want to know if you have an upgraded (output) alternator. if so, that could be a fire waiting to happen.

Yes, that wire is what gets redone with a 4 or 2 AWG cable (for the extra output of the alternator).

you should also upgrade the secondary power cable to accomodate the extra output of the 3G alternator (if you have one). it would be like having a stock stereo receiver in some old car and installing a 200 watt deck - you would upgrade the stock power AND ground wiring to accomodate the extra power.
I am just assuming its the upgrade because the bracket has been notched and the blade thing is enclosed on the alt. How would I know for sure is there a part number on them? So both of those wires (black and black with orange) are + or -?